Silence Masks Violence

Silence Masks Violence

Love may be blind, but you don't have to be.

24
Silence Masks Violence
Heather Eustace
“I’ll be good next time. It was my fault. He had a bad day, it won’t happen again.”

Lie after lie becomes seemingly necessary for those in domestic abuse situations. They believe it will get better, but the only way for it to get better is to leave the situation. Domestic abuse can be both mental and physical. One in four women are in these domestic abusive relationships. Forty percent of victims in violent relationships are men. The worst part is, two out of three Americans know a victim in a domestic abuse relationship. They lie about how bruises were received. They call out of work because they feel sick after being forced to pleasure their partner at his convenience. They hide in the bathroom, crying because they can’t get the sick and twisted words out of their heads. How did this become such a popular trend? Violent people have always been around, but when did society become so absent-minded to what was happening?

Purple ribbons can often be seen in support of domestic abuse victims. When most think of these victims, they stick to this idea of fragile women. Strong women get abused too. And let’s not forget, men can be abused too. When we think of October we think pink, Breast Cancer Awareness, but that’s not the only awareness going on. October is also meant for domestic abuse awareness to get society to understand that even if you don’t know you’re seeing it, you might be. Those who don’t understand complain that it is on the victim- that they should just leave the situation. Yet victims understand it is much harder than that. To be in a situation where someone you love hurts you, mentally, physically, sexually is something no one expects. In today’s society, it’s scary to think how easy it could be to get wrapped up in this terrifying relationship. You may not even realize it sometimes. Getting guilted into sex? That’s not normal. Getting guilted about who your friends are? That’s not normal. Constantly being put down? That’s not normal. And if you are ever hit, that is not normal. Those are not signs of love. So get help from those who truly love and care about you.

If you are a victim or know a victim of domestic abuse, get help. Go to friends or family who love you and want to help you to a better situation. Then reach out to the police. You as a human have the right to feel safe and if someone is taking away that right, they should be stopped.

If you are a victim or know a victim of domestic abuse and feel that you cannot reach out to those who know you personally, there is the National Domestic Violence Hotline number which is: 1.800.799.7233. Silence only helps the abuser. Silence masks the violence. Speak up to end the violence.