5 signs of a rough semester

5 Signs That It Has Been A Rough Semester

Hands up if finals has you feeling like you're crawling to the finish line!

223

We all have that one rough semester that has made us dying for Christmas break to come so it can FINALLY end. Whether it be the courseload, getting unlucky with professors or life just decided to make things hard on you. Whatever the reason may be, here are five signs all college students can relate to at the end of an insane half year:

You were horrified at your sleeping habits

Tired Spongebob Squarepants GIF - Find & Share on GIPHYGiphy

When you're at 19 credit hours full of mathematics, physics, biology, chemistry and a history class run in a foreign language, long nights at the library are the only way to succeed under such a heavy course load. Now add trying to be involved on campus and maybe 7 hours of shut-eye is the best it can get. Sleep deprivation really gets the best of you sometimes. I look back and don't know how I managed to survive on such little sleep during exam weeks. (Lots of coffee was consumed, maybe a little too much though.)

An unhealthy amount of caffeine was consumed

Whether it be red bulls consumed in the library cafe to push through a mid-term week and stay up longer or chugging up to 3 coffees a day, these caffeine dependencies may be slightly unhealthy, but you gotta do what you A break do. I think my heart rate increased after the amount of coffee I consumed this semester and at this point, I can't just get rid of coffee, so the occasional palpitations are worth it. The baristas already know my order every time I walk into my favorite coffee shop so at least that makes my life a bit easier, even if I sometimes question whether coffee even cures my exhaustion anymore.

You've had your fair share of mental breakdowns

When it's time for the first round of midterms and you have 5 exams in the span of 2 weeks while formal recruitment is going on during both weekends, that's when the mental breakdowns hit hard. Might've had to take an L or two because September is just a rough month, but you A break need to cry it out and then move on. It's fine, I'm fine, everything's fine. I'm not dying inside.

You've had more than one argument with crappy professors.

Arguing with crappy professors and their lame retorts of "I discussed this in class" when you ask them to explain an answer you got wrong on your exam because you didn't understand the exam, and they can barely speak English, office hours are always a *lovely* time. You know, I was talking about something completely different, but it's not like they can actually understand me, so I'll just teach myself the material next time. We've all had our fair share of professors who make their classes hell sometimes.

You're counting down the days until you never have to dread that one class again.

Have you ever had that one absolutely awful class completely unrelated to your major but you still have to take it as a graduation requirement? You're sitting there trying to comprehend the material and wondering why you have to learn it only to never use it again, like is it the end of the semester yet? I cannot spend another day in this classroom without going insane

So if it's been one of those semesters for you, stay positive and push through finals week, you are so close to being done! Study hard and all the work will be worth it. A break is right around the corner. You got this!