Be Like the Sidekicks in Movies and Television

How To Live Life As The Lovable Sidekick You've Always Wanted

William Shakespeare might have said, "All the world's a stage," but my own mother made sure to tell me, "It's not about you."

83
https://map.pop-nonsense.com/wp-content/uploads/job-manager-uploads/job_logo/2017/10/Capture3.jpg

Think for a second about some recent conflict you had. It can be anything, as big as losing a job or failing a class to something as small as being cut off by some jackass in traffic. (Were they driving a grey Dodge Avenger? If so, that was probably me . . . in which case, this is kinda awkward.)

But try to recall your thought process both during and after that incident. I'd be willing to bet some minor sum of money (I'm very broke) that at some point, you may have asked yourself some variation on the question, "Why me?" "I'm a good student, why did I have to bomb that test?" "Why would so and so cancel their plans with me?" "Why did that jackass have to rear-end my car, of all cars?" (I really am sorry!)

Of course, the answers to these questions are always quite simple in retrospect, and can usually be boiled down to four simple words we've all heard before:

It's not about you.

Credit: https://itsunderstood.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/NotAboutYou-300x288.jpg

Now, I could wrap things up here, submit this to my editor, and call it a night. After all, I haven't played Xbox for a week or so. But that'd make for a pretty boring article, so in the interest of keeping things entertaining, I'd like to evaluate that phrase above, using really cool things like extended metaphors and life philosophies.

If you've ever read any of my other writings, whether on Odyssey or my personal blog, Everyman Film Reviews (subtle plug!), you've probably noticed that I like movies a lot. Too much, some would say. So today we're gonna apply some ideas from cinema and storytelling to YOUR VERY LIFE. (Sorry...that was kinda dramatic.)

I'm no Greek philosopher--hell, I'm not even twenty yet--but I've had a theory in the back of my mind for awhile that one of the big problems in our cultural mindset today is that a lot of people tend to see themselves as the central subject of some grand, overarching narrative. In simpler terms, we like to think of ourselves as the star of our own movie. And there's nothing terribly wrong with that; after all, it's only human for ourselves to be the center of our own lives. And movies are great. But movies also have drama--lots of it--and when we start to live out our daily lives like some kind of movie, that brings us a lot of unnecessary drama.

Time to put those thinking hats on . . .Credit: https://vinaire.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/roman-statue.jpg

So today I'm putting forward my own pseudo-philosophical movie-metaphor that I try to keep in the back of my mind from time to time. If you feel like what I described in the last paragraph describes you to some degree, feel free to stick around for a little longer. And hey, maybe it doesn't, in which case feel free to stop reading this and check out this awesome video of a birthday Spider-Man injuring himself on a backflip. It's hilarious.

Basically, my thinking goes like this: instead of thinking of myself as the main character of some real-life movie, I strive to be more like that supporting character that everyone loves.

Did you ever see "Forrest Gump" ?Remember Lieutenant Dan (Gary Sinise), or even Bubba (Mykelti Williamson)? Neither one of them are the stars of that movie, but they steal practically every scene they're in. Or maybe you seen the show "Parks and Rec," and you know how amazing a character Ron Swanson (Nick Offerman) is. But no matter how many times Ron makes you laugh, he's not really the central character on that show.

A role model for us all.Credit: https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/ronswanson-bann.jpg?quality=95&w=650

So my rough philosophy is that we should strive to be kinda like these types of characters in our daily lives. Don't see yourselves as the central figure in some unfolding story, where everyone else exists only in relation to your needs, your desires, and whatever challenges you face. Rather, try to see yourself as that lovable side-character--not everything's about you, and maybe you're not around all the time. But, when you do show up, you leave a lasting impression and change everyone's lives for the better.

I think you'll find that when you can manage to shift your thinking in this way (it's hard to do), you'll be less bothered by whatever hardships come your way, and you'll find that there's less drama in your life overall. So be like Bubba. Or Agent Phil Coulson from "The Avengers." Or Wooderson, Matthew McConaughey's awesome supporting role in "Dazed and Confused." Or Agent Phil Coulson from "The Avengers." All great characters we remember, even if they're not around all the time.

So there you have it. I guess I'm some kinda philosopher or something now. I should get business cards: "Logan Webber: Philosopher." But anyway, what do you think? Is there any merit to my "supporting character" view of life? Or am I just blowing smoke? Comment and let me know!