7 Laser-Focused Things I Experienced My First Week Of Starting Adderall

#4 definitely got the best of me.

553

If you're diagnosed with ADD like me, you'll know Adderall (or another stimulant that works for you) is one of the keys to survival.

Since I started taking it, my life - although still messy - has improved for the better. There were some things that I experienced in the first week, though, that were... pretty left field. Here are some crazy things I thought my first week of taking Adderall:

1. "I hate cleaning. Why am I cleaning everything?"

Within one day of starting my prescription, I went from not being able to see the floor of my bedroom to a spotless bedroom and organized Tupperware drawers. No speck of dust went unchecked, whether it be the windows, trash cans, coffee tables, you name it. Now, since I'm the laziest person on the planet, I'll just actively ignore a little mess and clean it later instead of going insane if I see a speck of dirt on the floor. It's about balance, people!

2. "I truly believe I'm Wonder Woman. I'm stronger than any living being on the planet. I'm going to tweet at The Rock to fight me until he responds."

For some reason, Adderall made me feel like a huge badass and made me feel physically stronger than I actually was. I not only wanted to start a boxing subscription, but I was prepared to run five miles a day to become the strongest woman on the planet and challenge everyone to a bodybuilding competition and could never sit still. In reality, I had chicken legs and could barely jog a mile without getting winded. Like liquid courage, but crazier!

3. "I have so many random hobbies I want to start, even though I have no interest in any of them!"

Even though I previously hated anything to do with organizing, the ~new~ me totally dug it. Some other interests I had were, but not limited to: tap dancing, bug watching (you heard that correctly), nail art, cycling, sketching, and stanning random celebrities I'd never heard of. All things I have no interest in, yet, here we are! I've since learned that if it's something I'm not going to do next week, don't start doing it. Don't get me wrong, though - I'll still watch the occasional bug on my window sill every now and again.

4. "Sleep? I've never heard of that term before. Tell me more."

As someone who needed 12 hours of sleep to function, my sleep schedule was now DESTROYED when I first started taking Adderall. I'd go to sleep at 5AM and wake up at 7AM wide awake, ready to conquer the world. The bad part was that I never felt tired during the first week of taking it. By day nine, though, fatigue hit me like a freight train, and I finally figured out to get a full night's sleep (melatonin is your friend).

5. "My new talent is being annoyed and unamused for no reason."

I'm a pretty easy going person, but now, any little thing seemed to rub me the wrong way; it could be chewing, loud steps, coughing, or even breathing in my direction. It all made me mad and I was not here for any of it. By this point, I was ready to rage quit, crawl under a big rock, and give it a deep clean while I was under there.

6. "I think I'm focusing TOO well.."

Don't get me wrong, my focusing abilities that were once non-existent were now off the charts! The downfall of that being that I could spend hours watching Netflix without getting tired. I mean, not like I didn't do it before, but this was ~intensified~. I swear I didn't blink once when I finished the first season of "Mindhunter".

7. "I am a ~new~ person!"

Despite all the things I stated above, I was finally a functioning member of society! I felt like I could truly do anything! Although I don't experience these side effects as intensely anymore, taking Adderall for my ADD has been an amazing experience, and I'd do it all again if I could.