The Adventures Of Being A Twin

For 18 years, I shared everything with my brother. I have always had him in my life - well, except for a short 6 minutes before he was born. I won't go into detail; the extent of sharing gets much bigger when you have a twin. In high school, everyone expected us to compete with each other. Maybe I just got lucky with my sibling because I always considered us to get along really well - we didn't try to rip each other's throats out like everyone described their teenage years with their siblings. Instead, my brother spent many hours hanging out with my friends in our basement. We took the same classes, got the same GPA, and even got the same ACT score. It was nice to always have a study buddy in the bedroom next to yours, and someone to always push you to do better. My brother was also my biggest supporter, whether he liked it or not. When we were little, he was practically forced to be in same clubs as I was. Mom wasn't going to make that many trips to town and he would end up helping out because I was in it, so why not get something out of it? I knew he always had my back when I needed help, and it was easy to hold him accountable!

Cameron and I decided to go to different colleges, which I think is good for any twin. It gives you time and space to develop your own self away from your twin and parents. Growing up, I didn't think of us as attached at the hip. That's the beauty of fraternal twins (other than people can tell us apart). As a boy and girl, we had different friend groups, so I felt like an individual. Although, each time we shared this nonchalant decision, we were met with the common question of , "What are you going to do without each other?!" And many times we would look at each other and shrug. We had never been apart for more than a week.

I'm not going to say everything was rainbows and butterflies; he knew exactly what would make my blood boil. I sure could get annoyed with him, and I would not hesitate to express this. He put up with some sass from my end too. I think this is where many siblings find themselves in the same boat.

Space brings people together.

I have never gotten along with my family as well as do now. I am not home-sick, but being away makes me miss them more. (I hope they feel the same, considering I am the one who moved away!) As for my sibling, you learn to appreciate their keen viewpoint and understanding of what grinds your gears, what makes you sad, and what brings you joy. They know what to say and what not to say. Your personality is another language they are fluent in. My brother is a man of few words, but the ones he says are the right ones. I know I can always call him and be excited about things that are happening in my life with no worries that I am bragging or trying to seem better. I remember when he came and visited me over his break, which was not my break. I left him in my room for a good 5 hours while I went to class and different responsibilities, and when I got back, I demanded ramen noodles, and with no argument, he made them for me. Actions speak louder than words, and in this way I know he appreciates me too.

As for separation, well, I have learned what it is like to go without my brother for longer than a week. I definitely think living with him made living with a roommate easier (even though my roommate is the easiest person to live with). Shared space is not an issue for me! We don't talk on the phone everyday, not even every week, but we'll send each other quick messages back and forth. So to answer the question, "What will you do without each other?!" I will do lots of things. School and everything that comes along with college is a huge distraction from my home life. I feel like I am living two different lives sometimes! I do miss my family, even if I forget to tell them this. Whenever I come home, Cameron is one of the first people I want to see. I wouldn't say sibling separation is all that difficult because I know that no matter where we go in life, we will always be related. I am excited to see where he will go in life! I am glad I got him as a brother. I am glad I got a person like him as my twin.