Should You Get a Second Medical Opinion?

Clearly, second opinions save lives, but when should you get one? Below are some scenarios when a second opinion is necessary.

20

Being diagnosed with a rare disease is particularly scary. These diseases are often not extensively researched due to their rarity, and you may wonder how you can receive treatment for something that is largely unknown.

So, you saw a doctor and received a diagnosis, but you are not entirely sure it is accurate. You are considering seeking a second medical opinion, but are not sure if this is the right decision. Your situation is not uncommon. According to the Mayo Clinic, 88 percent of patients that obtained a second medical opinion received a new or refined diagnosis. That is encouraging news, considering that John Hopkins Medicine ranks medical errors as the third-leading cause of death in the country.

Your Symptoms Continue After Receiving Treatment

It is important to remember that your body is yours alone, and no one knows it better than you. If you have received treatment but your symptoms continue, you should seek the second opinion of a different specialist or doctor. Too many people do not do this, and they simply accept that they will live in chronic pain or with a certain condition. This is not always the case, but you will not get better if you do not receive the right diagnosis, which may require a second opinion.

You were Diagnosed with a Rare Disease

Being diagnosed with a rare disease is particularly scary. These diseases are often not extensively researched due to their rarity, and you may wonder how you can receive treatment for something that is largely unknown. The risk of misdiagnosis is especially high with rare diseases, so it is critical to conduct your own research into the rare disease. Find a doctor or specialist that has experience treating the disorder and get a second opinion from them.

Your Doctor has Recommended a Risky Surgery

All surgeries carry certain risks, but some are particularly invasive or they may have lifelong consequences. It is important to know that just because a doctor has recommended a certain surgery, you do not have to go through with it. If your doctor has recommended a treatment that you are concerned about, always be proactive and get a second opinion to determine if it is actually necessary.

Something Feels Off

Sometimes, a doctor makes a recommendation or a diagnosis and it just does not feel right to the patient. Of course, patients are not usually doctors and so, they may not even know why they are uncomfortable with what the doctor is saying. You do not have to know why. You should always trust your instincts and if something feels wrong, you should get a second opinion.

A Medical Malpractice Lawyer Can Help if You are Hurt

While second opinions are greatly helpful, not all patients that need one get one. If you have been hurt by a doctor's negligence, an attorney can help. A lawyer will review your case and determine if your injury was due to the carelessness of a medical professional. If so, they will also help you file a Philadelphia medical malpractice claim to obtain the full compensation you deserve for your losses.