Should Transgenders Compete In High School Track And Field?

Is there an advantage? Where do you draw the line?

17
Wiki Media

Last month on May 27th, a transgender student in Alaska won all-state honors in girls’ track and field. Nattaphon Wangyot of Haines High School took fifth place in the girl’s 1-2-3A 100m finals and third place in the 200m race. However, this success has many up in arms. Many parents, as well as athletes, are noting her state success as not 100 percent fair.

I recently held my own poll on my Twitter account, @JustRunFuller, to see what my followers think of the topic. Out of 434 people, 77% of people disagree with transgender people participating in track and field. However, 23% of the voters said yes to allow transgender people in track and field.

Opinions varied across the Twitter feed and my personal Facebook comment board regarding tweeting this poll and post. Many people noting and supported the idea that this indeed, is an unfair advantage.

Generally, when men and women in track face off against each other it rarely ends with the woman being the victor. On average, men are quicker, stronger, and better physically built than women. It should be common sense not to have men race against women in any serious sporting event, such as state finals. Regardless of any hormone treatment or any genital surgery, the biological makeup and anatomy are not the same. Male and females have different bone structures. Male hips are thinner, and women's are wider. This alone allows men to run/jump faster

Now, just as many people have disagreed. There was a few that agreed that transgender people should be allowed to compete. The IOC and most of the rest of the world's governing bodies allow it; they are the ones who have done the scientific research on it and if they say that it is fine for transsexual athletes to compete in their chosen gender, which differs from popular opinion. One user pointed out that “At the end of the day it’s running in circles... Not saving the world or solving hunger or world peace. Let the girl live her life.”

With both sides defending their stances, there is a reoccurring theme that males are just faster than females, it's a fact across track and field. Regardless if you "switch" your gender, you're testosterone levels will differ as well as bone structure. Which is why this is unfair competition. If we can just allow someone to compete to whatever gender they identify with, you could run the 5000m and clock a time of 13:40 and never make it to the Olympics. However, if you decided from male to woman, your Olympic dream would be an easy reality as no woman has yet to run that fast or in the matter of fact ever come close.Another example could be if someone could run 2:01 for 800m back in the mid-90s, If he was to identify as a female, he would have been the fastest woman in the US. That's the ridiculousness of this situation.

This is pretty much "gender doping." Yes, at this level of playing field she may only be a 5th place high schooler, however, keep in mind that if one person is allowed... the same must follow for everyone.

Gender doping is not an isolated case. Caster Semenya went through a similar ordeal in 2009. Caster is a World champion 800m runner and is currently coming close to world record times. Semenya's case was, however, particularly different, as she is missing a womb and has internal testes (which produce testosterone) instead of ovaries. This is, of course, not in the case of being transgender. Never less, her gender matters to the IAAF and of course, as it would be unfair for a man to be competing against women.

A closer relevant case of this issue would be in the case of Stella Walsh. Stella Walsh was a dominant sprinter of the 1930s and won 41 American Championships and won the gold medal in the 100-meter dash in the 1932 Olympic Games, however, as it was later found out it, she wasn't exactly a female. After much speculation that she was "too fast to be a woman," it was later found out in an autopsy that had male genitals and both male and female chromosomes. This is a condition known as mosaicism.

Stella Walsh congratulates Helen Stephens at the 1936 Olympics

Getty Images

These are just two examples how even medical conditions affect the sport of play in athletics, where does the line get drawn when a male become a female? Thus far it seems that only official associations and committees are left to decide for themselves, not a vote of the athletes themselves.

So where does that leave in official standings?

The International Association of Athletic Federations (IAAF) was founded in 1912 as the world governing body for the sport of track and field Athletics. The IAAF policy differs for transmen and transwomen:

As it applies to Transwomen (MTF):

- requires notification to IAAF

- consultation with a panel of medical experts

- endocrine assessment

International Olympic Committee (IOC), Consensus Meeting in November 2015, agreed the following guidelines to be taken into account by sports organizations when determining eligibility to compete in male and female competition:

1. Those who transition from female to male are eligible to compete in the male category without restriction.

2. Those who transition from male to female are eligible to compete in the female category under the following conditions:

2.1. The athlete has declared that her gender identity is female. The declaration cannot be changed, for sporting purposes, for a minimum of four years.

2.2. The athlete must demonstrate that her total testosterone level in serum has been below 10 nmol/L for at least 12 months prior to her first competition (with the requirement for any longer period to be based on a confidential case-by-case evaluation, considering whether or not 12 months is a sufficient length of time to minimize any advantage in women’s competition).

2.3. The athlete's total testosterone level in serum must remain below 10nmol/L throughout the period of desired eligibility to compete in the female category.

2.4. Compliance with these conditions may be monitored by testing. In the event of non-compliance, the athlete’s eligibility for the female competition will be suspended for 12 months.

USA Track & Field (USATF) At its February 27, 2005 meeting, Board of Directors adopted the International Olympic Committee's policy regarding competition by transgender athletes and transsexual athletes.

USA Triathlon follows United States Anti-Doping Agency rules regarding the use of testosterone, which is a banned substance which requires a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) to avoid violating policy.

Now, what about the law?

Title IX was about giving women access to sports and sports funding. Now it's a tool of cultural manipulation. Its a failure when Title IX means that guys that are transgender to female get to compete in girls HS sports, and as women under the NCAA and Olympic rules. Playing field is no longer equal.

However, The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Department of Justice have found that discrimination against transgender people, which I suppose could include transgender athletes, is a form of sex discrimination covered under the Civil Rights Act. While some have said this proves that additional protections are not necessary, advocates for explicit non-discrimination laws say that they’re important for enforcement, educating the public and making sure a person doesn’t have to go to court to make their case.

At the end of the day regardless of popular opinion, official response, or what "seems fair," the issue will be a reoccurring issue for years to come.