Rich Poor Divide Purchase
News

Should We Stop Buying Luxurious Items In Order To Help Others In Need?

Sometimes we need to take the time to reflect and really think about the product we are buying and if it is truly needed in our lives.

55
Unsplash / freestocks.org

Peter Singer, the author of "The Singer Solution to World Poverty" shared his beliefs on world poverty and has shared his opinion of a solution as well. He believes "the formula is simple: whatever money you're spending on luxuries, not necessities, should be given away." Though he is ridge because prosperous people are able to donate to those who need the boost to help them prosper and all these luxuries aren't needed, not everyone believes their hard work should be given to unfortunate families who aren't able to build their family as well as the luxuries are.

There is an immense number of countries that haven't advanced. The people in countries such as Pakistan, Iraq, and Iran are not able to prosper as far as people in UK and USA. With this being said, we know that they have limited options. By simply donating to fundraisers such as UNICEF, these people in restricted countries can have more opportunities to better their lives. This is significant because though we have been able to prosper with hard work, we had the advantage of living in the US where the economy is one of the highest and opportunities are limitless. As it relates back to Singer's claims: prosperous people can donate even a small amount to permit other unfortunate people to strive high as well.

As you donate a small amount of money, you finally begin to realize and think about the materials and items you own. Are the items you own necessary for you to live? There was a famous Instagrammer known as Omar. He was so immensely rich that anything he owned had a brand label on it. 3 years ago he was diagnosed with cancer and was told he only had 6 months to live. In those months he realized that all the items he owned were useless. He was leaving this world and couldn't take any of the materials with him. He decided to sell all his items and use this money to help others in need and provide students with school supplies as needed.

This shows how everyone truly needs a reality check in order to see that the items are useless and that helping others instead could benefit them both ways. Drake, the rapper, is a great example of this. With 5 million dollars he could have spent on his luxurious music video. He decided to use $100,000 in order to make the "essential" video he needs but then used the remaining money to help those in need. Both of these relate back to Singer because it shows how Drake and Omar decided to keep the essential items in order to allow people in need to get these essentials.

Lastly, people believe that their hard work is for their benefit and others need to work hard to get their benefits as well. These people refute Singer's claim. As a United States resident, you are given unlimited opportunities to become what you want and do what you want. Though in places such as Pakistan, schools are not paid for by the government, so if your parents do not have enough money for K-12, then you do not get to even finish high school like ever US resident is given the FREE option. This already limits the chance for a person in Pakistan for their future.

But as Singer stated, "The formula is simple: whatever money you are spending on luxuries, not necessities, should be given away."

You can use the extra items you have in order for students in Pakistan to be able to go to school and soon allow their family to prosper with the advantage you provided them.

Though people would refute Singer's claim because of greed and selfishness, people can follow his claim and allow other disadvantaged people to try hard and achieve their goals in life as well.