Why You Should Love Yourself

Why You Should Love Yourself

For those who self-deprecate.

48
Why You Should Love Yourself
Psych Central

We are all guilty of it. The times where we find ourselves saying “well I never said I was smart,” or “I’m never going to be pretty,” or the ever-popular “I am trash.” Trust me, I am guilty of all of the above.

But when did the act of being self-deprecating become so socially acceptable? When did a person bringing themselves down, for the effect of humor, become modern comedy? Facebook, Tumblr, regular storytelling, all of these platforms are now riddled with lines of people bringing themselves down, instead of thinking of ways to pick themselves up.

I am being hypocritical by writing this. At least once a day I catch myself muttering words along the lines of “you’re so stupid,” or “why would you say that you idiot.” My favorites are “I’m a garbage human being,” and “I look like a chicken nugget.” Sure, when I say these things, it is in an effort to be funny, explaining why I do the things I do. And yet little do I know that each hurtful comment that escapes my lips, instead of alleviating weight from my shoulders, is actually adding to it.

And I feel this is the same for everyone. Because you aren’t garbage. You are a human being. A human being that is entitled to mistakes, and all around awkwardness. And you do not have to attribute these bouts of embarrassing moments to being “garbage,” but simply to human nature.

And we never stop to think about it. When we hear someone say something hateful about themselves, we laugh, and search for a way to counteract their comments. But really we should be reminding them that they are perfect, and that they should not put themselves down. The world is full of too much negativity regardless.

It is time that we all participate in self love, and not self hate. We need to care for ourselves, take a little time just for enjoyment, and recognize that we are perfect in everyway. Because the second you start talking about yourself this way, and seeing yourself as “a garbage human being,” the people around you will too. And the more you say it, the more truth you will find behind it.

And it is okay to be confident. Just because someone compliments you, does not mean you need to find a way to prove them wrong. Smile and accept it. The world isn’t out to get you. You are beautiful.

So the next time you are walking with your friends and see a trash bin, and you have the urge to point at it and say “me,” just remember that that isn’t who you are. Love yourself.