Should I Even Attend College Now?

Should I Even Attend College Now?

I had to decide if I should spend the money to attend college and live on campus when most of my classes are online.

335
Should I Even Attend College Now?

As recent high school graduates, during a pandemic, many of us are faced with the question, What to do about college? It seems as though we have three choices: attend college in the traditional sense, attend college from home in an online format, or just take a gap year. For some of us it's an easy answer, while others are left in the dark not knowing what answer is the best for their future. I am one of those students, who struggled to make that decision.

The main reason for my indecisiveness is the cost. Being an out of state student is difficult considering the cost compared to an instate student. Taking a gap year to work and save money or taking my classes online from home are both options that would save money. I also struggled with the fact that I would be attending college and having most of my classes online, stuck in my dorm room for hours on the computer.

Even though it's difficult to overcome some of these negatives, I found many reasons to attend LSU as an on campus student. I will be able to make new friends and be social on campus, of course while wearing a mask. I will be able to become involved in clubs, which will offer me more opportunities to meet people in person, and most of all the opportunity to get to know my professors. Studies have also shown that students who live on campus perform better in the classroom. The most important reason of all is living the college experience. The college experience consists of living in a so-called "bubble" where everything you can possibly need is within a few miles radius of campus and being able to be independent and learn valuable lessons on your own. Of course, you can't forget the amazing athletics LSU has to offer that you can attend and watch in person. While going back and forth on my decision, I came to the conclusion that I am going to attend college and live on campus, because I know myself as a student. I need to physically attend school in order to set myself up for the most success.