I Should Have Watched The Vice-Presidential Debate, But I Did Not

I did not realize, at first, just how important this debate was.

11

I was really excited to watch the second Presidential debate, until someone informed me that it was actually the Vice-Presidential debate. I could barely even name the Vice-Presidential candidates. So I shrugged it off, thought it would probably be boring anyway, and never watched it.

I was wrong. And anyone else that skipped the Vice-Presidential debate because it was 'boring', frankly, was wrong too. Because boring does not mean unimportant. And I realized afterwards that the Vice-Presidential debate is a lot more important than I first realized.

Tim Kaine and Mike Pence, the Vice-President candidates for Clinton and Trump respectively, are obviously not as 'entertaining' or have as loud personalities as Clinton and Trump, but that does not mean that their roles-or their debate-is unimportant.

It is easy to forget about the Vice Presidents' roles in office. We tend to overshadow them with the President. While we are worried about Clinton and Trump and how they would act in office, we are forgetting about the main advisor that they will be working with-their Vice President. In recent years, the Vice President's role has become bigger, as they have larger impacts on policies and current events. They work with the President closely, and can influence how he or she acts in office.

We also tend to forget the biggest role that the Vice President may have to take on-Presidency. If something unfortunate happens to the President, it is the Vice President who is sworn into office. While this hopefully never has to happen, it has in the past. This occurred long go, when VP Andrew Johnson became President after Lincoln's assassination, and it also happened semi-recently, when VP Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn into office after Kennedy was assassinated. While we hope that it does not happen, we have to remember that anything can happen, and it is the Vice President that will assume the role of President.

I had forgotten about the important role the Vice President really has, and therefore skipped out on watching the Vice-Presidential debate, like many other people did. The Vice Presidential candidates do not get a second debate like the Presidential candidates did, making it even more important to have watched. But, hey, this is my first 'real' election that I can participate in and vote in, so I am still learning!