27 Ways Women Protect Themselves That Men Don't Have To Learn
popular

27 Ways Women Are Told To Protect Themselves That Men Are Oblivious To

I guess if you want something done right, you just have to do it yourself apparently.

2789
Sydney Corral

Ever since I was a child and especially now that I am in college, my parents, trusted adults, and even some of my friends remind me how to protect myself out it this cruel, harsh world we live in. I guess it is too much to ask people to treat people with some respect nowadays. Far too many women have to take steps every single day to attempt to not get harmed in our disturbing society. For some, these things have become second nature to us without us even realizing it.

If you take any of these and think, "Well, duh, of course, I should do that." Stop and ask yourself, "Is this something a man consciously has to think about doing on a daily basis?"

Here are just a few examples of conscious decisions that women make on a daily basis so that they can live a "normal" life:

Don't rent first floor apartments

Don't live alone

Only go out in groups

Avoid getting in elevators alone with unknown men

Hold your keys as a weapon when walking alone

Carry mace or pepper spray with you

Park in well-lit areas

Avoid parking garages if possible

Check under your car as you walk up

Check the backseat of your car before getting in

Avoid stopping at highway rest areas if traveling alone

Watch what you wear

Always carry your cell phone

Don't go for a walk or jog at night

Do not have both headphones in while jogging

Share your locations with friends and family

Always meet men in public locations for the first time 

Leave a light on when you are not home so you don't come home to the dark

Leave an outside light on all night

Always lock doors behind you

Keep your windows locked

Avoid taking a Uber, Taxi, Lyft, etc. by yourself 

Do not get into an Uber, Taxi, Lyft, etc. with someone you do not know

Make sure to watch your drink being poured

Never put a drink down or leave it unattended

Don't drink too much

Be careful talking to men you do not know