The Picky Pizza-Eater's Complete Review Of Shorty's Pizza (Waco, TX)

Shorty's Pizza is everyone's favorite! Or is it?

30

Waco is home to many delicious restaurants, bakeries, eateries, and pizza places and Shorty's is one of Baylor's favorite pizza brands to serve. Some will say it's too greasy. Some will say it's the best pizza ever. What do your taste buds think?

The minute my friends and I walked into Shorty's Pizza Shack, we fell in love with its Italian aromas and inviting ambiance. In fact, Shorty's had the honor of being the location of my first food outing with friends while in college. My growling stomach and I had high expectations for this new and unfamiliar food stop. After all, several other students had referred to this place as the "Baylor pizza staple," so naturally, we had to see what all the fuss was about!

I am a picky pizza eater. By that, I mean I am not a fan of traditional, greasy pizza. Unfortunately, Shorty's pizza was not only greasy, it was also extremely oily. Not only did my slice of pizza leave a blotchy oil residue on my plate, but it left my fingers feeling like I had dipped them in a puddle of melted Vaseline. Plus, the pizza itself lacked a substantial sauce. Sure, there was enough cheese, but the small slather of sauce only left a sticky Parmesan taste in my mouth. My two slices of pizza were much too tasteless for my liking. I would've rather preferred for the pizza to have a balanced ratio of sauce to cheese. It did not help matters that the pizza's crust was tough and dry. It was not burnt, but the crust's dough didn't mimic the seamless tearing of slices like the appetizing pizza commercials one would see on television. After I had eaten the heart of the pizza, I took one bite of the crust and decided it was simply not worth the calories.

Although Shorty's pizza is somewhat bland, I will admit I am a fan of their fresh ingredients. Upon ordering their sausage and pepper pizza, I was delighted to find that the sausage bits were tasty and the crisp bell pepper was a vibrant green. Even the cheese on the classic pepperoni pizza was a mouthwatering combination of cheeses and had been melted to perfection. Best of all, our pizza was served to us fresh out of the oven and its blend of savory Italian fixings screamed, "Eat me!"

Furthermore, the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating at Shorty's. As my friends and I were rocking out to our jukebox tunes, we noticed that a few of the staff members had joined in behind the counter! They were also very kind when delivering our pizza and freshening our drinks. They checked up on us a few times to make sure we were satisfied with our meal too. Before we left, they were considerate in giving each of us a sticker with a smiling, bald man (the Shorty's logo) for us to keep and treasure our memorable experience together.

Realistically, my friends and I will share many more pizza outings together because we are getting a bang for our buck at Shorty's. Not only do they have an extensive menu for a pizza place, but their prices are reasonable too. For a college student on a budget, I would highly recommend stopping by Shorty's for an exceptional value. Their slices are huge and well worth the money my friends and I paid for an eighteen-inch pizza. Additionally, their specials and deals are well worth checking out. Every Wednesday, Shorty's offers five dollars off of a fourteen-inch pizza purchase. That would mean you'd only pay around twelve dollars! Happy Hour on Fridays would also be well worth pursuing. Shorty's has many inviting deals that are kind to every college student's wallet.

Shorty's is an ideal restaurant to get your pizza fix.

Waco, Texas should consider itself lucky to be home to such a notable pizzeria.