Brief Thoughts Before School Starts

Brief Thoughts Before School Starts

Only a few weeks before classes begin, and I'm ready.

10
Brief Thoughts Before School Starts
Linda Nogueras

I am a few weeks away from starting my third year in college and I am overwhelmed with emotions. For starters, I love fresh starts so the beginning of a new school year or a semester is motive of excitement for me.

A new school semester means I get to organize the following months of my life, academically, in a way that gives me a sense of productivity. Besides, this new semester reminds me how close I am from my long term career goal. This year, I get to be more involved on campus, and I also begin preparing for an admissions test that will help determine where will I call home after I graduate. This semester, my classes are mostly major related classes, and my schedule is more than perfect for me to be both productive, but also find time to relax.

Every day during my school years, I think about the commitment and sacrifice both I and my family are dealing with while I travel hundreds of miles away from home to receive my education in (and I know this sounds cheesy) the school of my dreams. I am lucky. I am blessed.

I'll get to see my friends and share new experiences with them. I'll get the chance to learn new behaviors to better myself, and just thinking of all the accomplishments I might get during this year makes my heart giddy.

It doesn't mean I don't miss home, but I am really thankful for the chance of doing something big. I am thankful my family supports me through it all. It is a beautiful feeling.

I am ready to give the best of me this year. Meanwhile, I will cherish the weeks of summer I still have left the best way I know: with family and friends.