Short Story on Odyssey: Strange Forest

Short Story on Odyssey: Strange Forest

Two young girls get into trouble because of their curiosity.

127
Short Story on Odyssey: Strange Forest

A mysterious blue and yellow kite kept flying back and forth across the forest. It was symmetrical and was about two feet wide. A sixteen year old girl named Zoey lived down the street from a national park forest in Colorado. Many mountains were inside the forest. From Zoey’s second story of her house she would look out the window and constantly see a kite flying in the forest. It has been going on for three days straight and happens for several hours a day. Zoey and her best friend Kate go hiking quite often. They actually have a huge hiking trip coming up next month in Montana. Zoey and Kate are very curious girls and they finally decide that they want to go hiking high up in the mountains to find out more about this blue and yellow kite.

The girls left Zoey’s house around noon. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky. It took them about and hour and half to make their way up to the mountain where the kite was flying from. As they approached the kite it stopped moving. The kite wasn’t being operated like any normal kite. It had a red flashing button at the bottom of it. It seemed as though someone was operating it with a remote control. As the girls got even closer, the kite had a hanging note attached at the bottom of it. Kate held the kite by the string while Zoey grabbed the note and unfolded it. As they both touched the kite, the sky started to get darker and more clouds began to appear. They both looked at each other and started feeling light headed. As they looked around the whole forest was different.

They examined the piece of paper that was attached to the kite. The paper was yellow and looked very old. Inside of it was a map that was written in blue ink. The map had directions to specific spots inside the forest that the girls had no idea existed. Zoey and Kate have gone hiking up here several times and they were very surprised to see that there were more areas to explore. They both were confused, but were determined to find out more about this forest. They looked at the map and decided to start following the directions to the next destination.

The next destination was about a fifteen minute walk. Zoey and Kate found their way to a beautiful waterfall. They were excited to see this here inside the forest. The temperature was around 90 degrees on this hot day in June. Kate was so hot from the hike that she decided to stick her feet into the waterfall and slowly made her way inside.

“Zoey, this water is so warm. It reminds me of the time when we went jet skiing in California. You need to….” Kate's voice trailed off.

All of sudden Kate went under water. She tried getting back up, but the currents were too strong. Zoey kept trying to keep an eye on where the current was taking Kate. It was moving her fast down stream.

“Kate stay calm I’m coming to get you!” yelled Zoey.

Zoey began running down a steep trail to catch up to Kate. As she was running she ran into a clear plastic wall. On the other side of the wall she could see Kate trying to get out of the waterfall.

Zoey said to herself, “Is this a trap? How do I get to the other side?”

Zoey began to scan other areas of the forest to see if there was a way to the other side. As she was looking around she saw an old woman. She was wearing a black cloak and she started to make her way toward Zoey.

“Excuse me! I need help! How can I get to the other side of this waterfall?” asked Zoey.

“The only way to get to the other side is to find more clues from that map you found earlier. That map will help you get out of here, but only if you find all the clues. I’ve been trying for years.” responded the old woman and then she began to run away.

Zoey began to feel terrified. She found the courage to look at the next destination on the map. It looked as though it was taking her deeper into the forest. She needed to get to Kate as soon as possible, so she decided to listen to the old woman’s advice. She began running looking for any type of clue.

All of sudden she saw a pine tree with a note dangling from it. Zoey started to climb the tree. She had to climb very high to even reach the note. She finally touched the note. She didn’t open it until she go down from the tree. As she opened the note, a bright light sparked and the sky turned yellow and green. Before Zoey could read the note she lost consciousness. An hour passed and Zoey woke up inside a cage in the middle of a field. This field was near an abandoned shack.

“Someone please help me!!” screamed Zoey.

Zoey began to think that the person controlling the yellow and blue kite had something to do with this whole situation. This person must be patrolling the forest Zoey thought to herself.

As she was sitting in the cage she saw a girl far in the distance. It looked like Kate. She had blonde hair, jean shorts, and a turquoise shirt on. Zoey kept screaming for help.

Kate was on the other side of the field. She was soaking wet with bruises and cuts all over her. She had no idea who was inside the cage. She kept walking closer and closer and then saw another blue and yellow kite. She approached the kite to see if it had any other clues on how to get out of this forest. It did have another note attached. This note had bloody fingerprints on it. Kate slowly opened it. As she opened it a bright white spark flashed. Zoey could see Kate from afar and right when she opened the note Kate disappeared.