Short Shorts Doesn't Mean Girls Say Yes!

Wake up World

118
ChaosRiotRuin

The Undoing of Ryder Burke is a story on Wattpad, written by a user named Clarifications. Wattpad is a website where you can write your own stories and read other people's stories. So a few weeks ago, a friend from Wattpad, shared this story with me. She told me that she just started reading it and was crying during one of the chapters. What did I do? I added it to my reading list. I started reading it that night.

Ryder Burke is a slut. It's a known fact in Madison High that Ryder is down for pretty much everything -the stories were written on the bathroom wall are law, after all. Her infamy doesn't stop her from holding a place at the top of Madison High's food chain. Until something happens at Georgia Brenner's New Year's Eve party.

All anyone knows is that Ryder was seen being led into a room by Ryan Morgan, Georgia's on again off again, and Mason Brenner, Georgia's twin brother. And that two hours later, Ryder Burke was at the hospital.

But who would believe the school slut when she cries rape?

Weston Stark is the new kid in school. The son of a lawyer, he knows that Ryder should be able to tell her side of the story, no matter what the rumors about her imply. The problem is that no one else is willing to listen to her.

This story has inspired me to talk about slut-shaming. Slut shaming is defined by many as an act in which women are attacked for their behavior or desires that are more sexual than society finds acceptable.

In the story, The Undoing of Ryder Burke, Ryder is known as the school slut because she is pansexual and the way she dresses. Pansexual is a sexual orientation that describes someone who is not limited to sexual choice regarding in biological sex, gender, or gender identity.

I asked Clarifications what inspired her to write such a story like The Undoing of Ryder Burke. This was what she said, " I guess I was mostly inspired by the way we treat victims of sexual assault. I happened across one of the anti- slut shaming pages on here, and I kind of got the idea behind the story. Like, women (especially women with a "checkered past") are usually vilified in the situation, while the men are said to have just "made a mistake," as if that excuses anything. I think all of this is really shown in the whole Brock Turner- Stanford thing. The judge only sentenced him to three months in prison with three months probation because anything else would have had a "strong effect" on a person who can swim well. Like boys who are good at sports or at something else are always raised on some sort of pedestal, while girls, especially "sluts," are torn down. And I guess I wanted to show that."

I looked into this Brock Turner case. The freshman at Stanford College was sentenced to six months in jail and three months probation , which he was subject up to 10 years for sexual assault. But the Judge deemed that 10 years would severely impact his life. Even though he severely impacted a young woman's life that night. She was unconscious, too intoxicated to say yes. Yet he enjoyed himself for 20 minutes supposedly before two bystanders on bikes followed him and tackled him to the ground to wait for the police.

Clothes is a factor in slut shaming. I have even caught myself asking out loud why is she wearing that, it makes her look like a slut? I mean we are human and we sometimes say things unconsciously. We make mistakes, but what we say hurts other people. I feel like society today makes it okay for girls and women to wear clothes that expose themselves. It is normal to see a woman wearing jeans that have so many holes in them that there isn't much material. I work in retail and I see people come walking in wearing spandex pants that are see through or shirts that show their bras. It is accepted because companies make these clothes this way and women wear them. If a company makes the clothes then surely it is okay to wear them?

This is when conflict arises, Society says it is fine to wear those clothes. Yet, when a woman is raped, then Society says that she was asking it for it because she wore those types of clothes. Why go through millions of dollars to make something that society will just punish you for?

Today it is accepted to have premarital sex. There are only a few to the millions of people on the earth that hold this up high on their moral compass. Judging a person on how many people they date, or have sex with is wrong. No one believes the same way. One person could believe that they should wait until marriage, then the next person might say they're down for a one nightstand. Sometimes it is how they were raised. And I'm not going into Nurture vs. Nature because I would just go on and on.

In The Undoing of Ryder Burke, no one believed Ryder. No one thought that a girl like her could say no. Because in the past, she always said yes. Ryder went to the police and the case went to trial. I won't spoil the ending of this fantastic book. Maybe someone would like to read it. I don't know about you, but I feel like my eyes have been opened and I want to stop slut shaming.

The truth is this world is what we made it. Yes, there I said it. We made what this world became. It is our fault. Our future daughters are going to grow up thinking that they are sluts and that they can be raped because they asked for it. Our future sons are going to grow up thinking that they can rape a girl because of what she wore, or they can do whatever they want to girls because nothing will happen to them otherwise. Our sons thinking that 'she asked for it.' is a substantial excuse. How is that fair to them? Our future generations are going to suffer because of what we find acceptable today.

We need to not only teach our daughters to not put themselves into situations like rape, but we also need to teach our sons not to rape.

How is it fair to us that are living today? Why can't we stop slut shaming and make the world a little better?

I believe in us. I believe that we can change for the better and stop slut shaming.