A Short Message Before Election Day

A Short Message Before Election Day

Neither side is going away.
Jessica
Jessica
2

I want to ask you to recount the last few months on Election Day. Remember this Election Day all the people you've wanted to remove from facebook. You are constantly infighting with friends on facebook, because clearly you are correct and everyone must know it. It's one of the many results of an election year - inevitably, you learn someone's political views that you weren't wanting to know, and now you can never look at them the same way again. Well I just wanted to inform you of something - something everyone constantly arguing on my Facebook feed is conveniently forgetting. Stop arguing for one minute, stop gathering quotes from Wikipedia for one minute, and stop constantly commenting on posts for the sake of arguing, because I want to drop a bombshell on you.

Ivanka Trump and Chelsea Clinton are friends.

Now, you might not be sure why this is relevant to you and your Facebook tendencies. It's relevant because the two children of the people hurling daggers at each other in a very public, almost entertaining style of an arena are friends. They always have been friends. They will be remaining friends after this election. Ivanka and Chelsea should be the model for every American citizen come Election Day. All that time you spent arguing, getting heated, and subsequently burning bridges because of politics, has led me to show you the peaceful coexistence of the children of this election. Apparently, the two friends are opting to not be seen in public currently, but the two have always gotten along and refuse to let their views or their parents views get in the way. This is their parents lives and careers on the line. Everyone's dirty laundry has been dug out and left to dry. It's fairly high stakes.

On Election Day, and leading up to it, maybe we should use this friendship as the poster child for what is coming next. Maybe we need to learn to coexist and not argue. Maybe we need to learn to talk.

Remember, America, no matter how much you hate the other side, they're still going to be there after Election Day. They're still going to be your neighbors and your fellow citizens as a whole, regardless of how much you disagree with or hate their views. No matter how much Democrats and Republicans hate each other, you're still stuck with each other.

Maybe, just maybe, you should take a page out of the Clinton-Trump book. By that, I don't mean recite scandals or controversial comments. By that, I don't mean utterly lambast the views of the other side, interrupt each other, or hurl insults on a public stage. By that, I mean take a page out of the Ivanka Trump and Chelsea Clinton friendship. Listen to each other, respect each other, and worst case scenario - put it aside.

If they can do it, why can't you?