Shop Here, NOT There

Shop Here, NOT There

10 Inclusive Places to Shop This Holiday Season That The AFA Does NOT Approve Of

32
Shop Here, NOT There
Target Corp. Website

With the election of Donald J. Trump as President-Elect came an onslaught of nationwide bigotry and marginalization. In lieu of this, I thought,"This holiday season I want to give my business to the companies that support me, and my values."

So without further adieu here is a list of 10 companies that stand up for equality despite the AFA's backlash

TARGET

Target has been under recent scrutiny for their support of LGBTQ+ rights, specifically for transgender customers. Target's initiative to create non-gendered aisles, as well as their continuous support for customers using restrooms that align with their gender identity makes them a great ally. By offering customers a large variety of products, ranging from groceries and clothing to televisions and household appliances, Target is a great place to find what you're looking for this holiday season.

HRC CEI (Corporate Equality Index): 100

"We believe diversity andinclusivity make teams and Target better. And we’ll live that belief as champions of a more inclusive society by creating a diverse and inclusive work environment, cultivating an inclusive guest experience, and fostering equality in society." -Target

APPLE

Mac vs PC, iPhone vs Galaxy, iPad vs Surface, iTunes vs Spotify: all of these are common battles that you have probably heard before, and a testament to how committed Apple is providing their customers with a diverse collection of quality products... but then again, Apple has always given its support to diversity. The multitude of products and services it provides has built its impressive consumer base, with its only major competitors being Samsung, Microsoft, Amazon, and Google. In mid-2015 Apple supported the 2015 Equality Act which served as a public display of their stance on LGBTQ+, Racial, Women's Rights, and the rights of other marginalized parties. Apple's consistent support for equality will help to prevent an uncomfortable shopping experience for you this holiday season.

HRC CEI (Corporate Equality Index): 100

"We see diversity as everything that makes an employee who they are. We foster a diverse culture that’s inclusive of disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, and service to the country. We want all employees to be comfortable bringing their entire selves to work every day. Because we believe our individual backgrounds, perspectives, and passions help us create the ideas that move all of us forward.

Creating an inclusive culture takes both commitment and action. We’re helping employees identify and address unconscious racial and gender bias. We’re cultivating diverse leadership and tech talent. We’re continuing our advocacy for LGBTQ equality, investing in resources for Veterans and service members and their families, and exploring new ways to support employees with disabilities. We’re also strengthening our common bonds through on-campus groups, events, and programs." -Apple

STARBUCKS

Of course, you've been to Starbucks, or have at least heard of the legen-dairy Pumpkin Spice Latte. Starbucks is located in every state, with their lowest density being in Vermont with just under 10 locations and their highest density in California at an astonishing 2,000+ locations. Supporting marriage equality, gender-neutral restrooms, and providing equal opportunity in their employment structure are just a few ways that Starbucks reaches out and supports marginalized communities. So whether you are going for a seasonal beverage, or to check out one of their annual new cup designs, Starbucks will provide you with a comfortable consumer experience.

HRC CEI (Corporate Equality Index): 100

"At the heart of our business, we seek to inspire and nurture the human spirit - understanding that each person brings a distinct life experience to the table. Our partners are diverse not only in gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, religion, and age but also in cultural backgrounds, life experiences, thoughts, and ideas."

JETBLUE

Travel for the holidays can give you a lot of anxiety: delays, cancellations, weather, financing, flight times, and probably much more. Though you may have many reasonable concerns, don't let one of those concerns be whether you will be scrutinized/marginalized during your in-flight experience. JetBlue is one of the premiere airlines when it comes to equality. With their support in the LGBTQ+ community, Women's Rights, Racial Opportunites, and much more, JetBlue makes constant initiatives to provide support for underrepresented communities in the world. Let JetBlue take you to your destination this holiday season. No one needs to be locked in a large metal tube, miles above the earth with people who make you feel uncomfortable.

HRC CEI (Corporate Equality Index) : 100

"At JetBlue, diversity isn’t just skin-deep. Integrity is one of our values, and we embrace a diversity of thought, diversity of background, different ages and abilities, different approaches and different sexual orientations. Embracing this kind of diversity means really being able to appreciate, respect and value crewmembers’ points of view across the spectrum. Yes, JetBlue is a proud, equal-opportunity employer—and we think it’s more fun that way, too."

GAP INC: GAP, BANANA REPUBLIC, OLD NAVY, ATHLETA, INTERMIX

Wow! Who knew all of these stores were part of Gap Inc.? I sure didn't, but I'm glad they are because they have some pretty cute clothes. For many people including myself, it can be pretty uncomfortable trying on clothes in a store that treats you differently based on who you are. Gap Inc. is an equal opportunity employer that won the 2016 Catalyst Award for their advancements and progress for women. Not only that, but they stood their ground after facing negativity for their Twitter initiative to support interracial families. This year you can shop knowing Gap Inc. and all of their brands have your back so you can feel more comfortable this holiday season.

HRC CEI (Corporate Equality Index): 100

"We maintain our commitment to diversity with workplace policies that ensure we do what's right, and treat our customers—and each other—with integrity and respect. We're an equal opportunity employer, and expect all our employees to help prevent discrimination and harassment in the workplace. We treat our customers and each other with respect, regardless of appearance, skin color, gender, or any other such distinction." -Gap Inc.

AMAZON

You may be familiar with Amazon, but have you heard of 'Amazon Smile?' 'Amazon Smile' enables you to donate a percentage of you total shopping expense to a non-for-profit organization of your choice. Even though it may not have a corporate equality index of 100 (yet), the benefit of being able to donate a portion of your spending is worthwhile, not to mention this is a 5 point improvement from the 2016 HRC CEI score.

HRC CEI (Corporate Equality Index): 90

"Amazon has hundreds of millions of customers who can benefit from a diversity of thought. We are a company of builders who bring varying backgrounds, ideas, and points of view to investing on behalf of our customers. Our diverse perspectives come from many sources including gender, race, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, culture, education, as well as professional and life experience. We are working to develop leaders and shape future talent pools to help us meet the needs of our customers around the world. As we invest in global programs to accelerate our progress, we want to share some of our actions." -Amazon

THE HOME DEPOT

Oh no, it's the holidays again, and for some, that means setting up lights, trees, and large inflatable lawn characters. We all know that these things are never as easy as they look. When things get messy and you need a few more supplies to accomplish your holiday set-up, take your business to the Home Depot. In 2012 the AFA's schemes to boycott the Home Depot for their support of the LGBT community were foiled when a company chairman stated, "We are, and will remain, committed to a culture that fosters an inclusive environment for our associates, our customers, and communities in which we exist." Isn't it nice to know that the folks at the Home Depot will support you this holiday season? I think it is.

HRC CEI (Corporate Equality Index): 100

"The Home Depot is keeping up with these and other dynamic changes by hiring diverse talent, as well as being inclusive of all associates, no matter their race, age, gender, sexual orientation or military status. This diverse workforce will serve our customers for the next 30 years and beyond." -The Home Depot

JCPENNEY

This nearly 115-year-old department store supports what right, diverse employment. JCPenney's employee demographic contrast the standards of most other companies in the US today. With a vast majority of their employees being women and nearly half of their employees being ethnic minorities, JCPenney has shown that it stands up for equality, especially gender and racial equality. JCPenney also acknowledges that their customers may have varying gender identities and encourages their customers to utilize the facility (fitting room or restroom) that aligns with their gender identity.

HRC CEI (Corporate Equality Index): 100

"Our strong focus on inclusion and Diversity (I&D) inspires associate loyalty, and we are proud that our associate population reflects the diversity of our national customer base. We strive to achieve broad diversity at all levels of the organization. The majority of our associates are women and in 2014 nearly half of all officers ar JCPenney were women. Also in 2014 almost half of all associates were an ethnic minority." -JCPenney

NIKE

Shoes...Shoes...gotta have...Shoes! Yes, shoes are important in everyone's life. Nobody wants to walk into any store that is going to discriminate against you. Nike has shown consistently that it stands up against discrimination, like when they supported the 2015 Equality Act, or when they released their LGBTQ+ inspired the #BETRUE collection. Whether you're buying some gym shoes, cleats, or other footwear, bring your business to Nike and you are sure to avoid discrimination.

HRC CEI (Corporate Equality Index): 100

"NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, protected veteran status, or disability. Nike is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please call 503-671-4156 and let us know the nature of your request, your location, and your contact information." -Nike

AT&T

Who doesn't like getting the new model smartphone for the holidays? Well, AT&T has contoured its services to provide their customers with a shopping experience that will not disappoint. After being the 1st major company to obtain a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index, their 2014 condemnation of Russia's Anti-LGBT Law's at the Sochi Olympic Games was not surprising. AT&T continued the fight for equality by supporting the passage of marriage equality in 2015 with their #loveislove initiative and the incorporation of a rainbow in their logo.

HRC CEI (Corporate Equality Index): 100

"Discrimination and all unlawful harassment (including sexual harassment) in employment is not tolerated. We encourage success based on our individual merits and abilities without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or employment status. We support and obey laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. AT&T fully considers all qualified applicants including those with a criminal history." -AT&T

The Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index is a rating on how well a business treats their LGBT employees, consumers, and investors.