Shhhhh! No Talking in the Library

Shhhhh! No Talking in the Library

Don't Let that one loud, obnoxious person prevent you from earning an A

107
Shhhhh! No Talking in the Library

I am just trying to study. It's currently 3 AM and I've seemingly been staring into a computer screen for an eternity. I love college and all the fun that comes with it, but on nights like this one I wish I could curl up in my bed back at home and just sleep.

Whether its Strozier, Dirac, or Goldstein libraries (yes that is a thing), all three buildings are host to hundreds of college students from dusk till dawn. These students are a very diverse group. If you spend one night in the library you will witness students clearly procrastinating, people on their tenth cup of coffee, study groups, the overnighters (blankets are a major key), and the rare casual studier that is simply getting ahead instead of stressing about a test the next day. All of these people have various qualities and personalities, and generally they make FSU a better place.

However, there is one group of people within a library that really detract from everyone else. These people come to our libraries and seemingly look like they are willing to put in some serious work. They have their books, paper, a pencil, and appear to be ready to study hard. Unfortunately, looks can be deceiving and this student will be the bane to your existence during your studying time. There is nothing worse than when someone is very obnoxious in the library and and ruins the study time of his or her peers. Talking loudly, laughing for all to hear, blasting music to the max, being on your phone, eating food sloppily, and making a scene are all very bad things to do in the library. The students here are just trying to do well in school, and this can be hard to do in college. Everyone is stressed out in someway and is also tired. This puts everyone a bit on edge, so when you have an obnoxious person in your vicinity it is absolutely infuriating. Why does the entire room need to hear your conversation? What is so funny that makes you consistently cackle with laughter? Who in the world taught you your manners?

All that I ask is for every student to be mature and to be aware that they are not the only ones studying. You must be conscious of the fact that the world does not revolve around yourself. Noise is the worst enemy of focus, and it is very hard to block out. Distractions can take a person from getting an A, all the way down to barely scratching a D.

I know that some will not heed my pleas, and they will continue their selfish ways. So instead of succumbing to the torture, we must persevere! We all spend too much money on tuition just to let one loud student make or break or GPA.

I wish ever library had a librarian that took no nonsense when it came to obnoxious and annoying students in the library. But until that day comes, it looks like we will have to have think skin, and to settle for earbuds and headphones. I hope everyone has a good playlist.