Sexual Harassment In The Workplace

Sexual Harassment In The Workplace

When will it stop?

18
Sexual Harassment In The Workplace

Gretchen Carlson is most notably recognized as the host of "The Real Story," a current affairs television program at Fox News. She has recently made headlines for filing a sexual harassment lawsuit against the chairman of Fox News, Roger Ailes. Carlson reported that Ailes created a "boys club" environment in the workplace, continuously leered and ogled at her body in his office and even made advances on her in a private meeting just between the two of them. Carlson was ultimately let go from Fox News after she reported and confronted Ailes. Fox News claims that they did not fire Carlson, they simply did not renew her contract. Ailes released a statement saying that Carlson was fired because her segment had the lowest ratings for her afternoon timeslot. So ultimately, it was a business decision to not renew her contract.

According to The Huffington Post, one in three women, aged 18-34 have been sexually harassed at work. In 2015, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission reported that 6,822 sexual harassment allegations were filed. Of that 6,822, only 17.1 percent were filed by males. The women that are filing these charges can be grandmothers, mothers, sisters, aunts or friends. Chances are, you know someone that has been sexually harassed in the workplace. And not all of the victims come forward.

It's 2016. We shouldn't be having issues about sexual harassment in the workplace. Women, just like any other man or human being, should be treated with respect in the workplace. Equality is not only in reference to equal pay but also equal opportunity and the freedom from sexual harassment in the workplace. No one, despite race, creed or gender, furthers their education at any level so that they can go to work and be subject to sexual harassment. No sane person accepts a job because they want to be a victim of sexual harassment. They accept the job because they want to make a name for themselves and be successful, maybe even provide for their families and their communities. The "boys club" environment needs to stop. Just because a gaggle of guys works in one area alongside women, it does not mean that they have the right to partake in "locker room" type banter. Any boss, manager or CEO should be absolutely ashamed if they have ever made an advancement on any employee. Their job in a leadership position is to lead their company and their employees towards success. Any corporation that allows for sexual harassment allegations to be swept under the rug or be "taken care of" does not deserve to be in business. These women are not present for entertainment. It is not fair for women all around the globe to be subject to sexual harassment, but most specifically in the workplace.

It is our job to protect those that cannot protect themselves. Everything starts with us. If you are a victim of sexual harassment, it is okay to step forward, report and talk about the incident. Do not be ashamed, for you did nothing wrong. Anyone who is a bystander to sexual harassment is at as much fault as the perpetrator themselves. The change will start when the atmosphere and environment changes. It is time for everyone to stand up for anyone that is suffering from sexual harassment. There are national hotlines for sexual harassment in the workplace and you can find all of the numbers here.