The Entertainment Industry Has Taken A Stance, Sexual Assault Cannot Be Ignored In Politics Anymore

It has become such an issue, we are beginning to become desensitized to it.
72

Another sexual assault allegation was made against another well-known male in the media's eye. The male: Matt Lauer, former co-host of NBC's morning show, "Today". The news was released early Wednesday at the start of the show's broadcast. Savannah Guthrie, one of the hosts of "Today" began wishing the audience good morning and saying, "This is a sad morning here at 'Today' and 'NBC News'".

The chairman of 'NBC News' released a statement , "On Monday night, we received a detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace by Matt Lauer. It represented, after serious review, a clear violation of our company's standards. As a result, we've decided to terminate his employment. While it is the first complaint about his behavior in the over twenty years he's been at NBC News, we were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident...".

The termination comes as shock to the public, as well as Lauer's co-workers. Guthrie expresses her emotions, "All we can say is we are heartbroken; I'm heartbroken.". She also expresses her heartbreak toward the colleague that came forward. She says that Lauer has been co-workers, but also friends for a long time. She says, "How do you reconcile your love for someone with the revelation that they have behaved badly?". She replies to that question by saying she does not know.

I believe all of us have faced that same question. Someone who we love and trust betrays you and you cannot look at them the same way. After hearing the news, I was shocked. I watched the show regularly and always thought Matt Lauer came across as a respectable man. However, this has shaken the world.

This is also yet another sexual assault allegation against another male that is well-known in the media. Lauer has been added to a list of several other guilty men such as Kevin Spacey, Charlie Rose, Harvey Weinstein, Bill O'Reilly, Billy Bush and many other celebrities. It has become such an issue, we are beginning to become desensitized to it. That is not good. What all these men have in common? They have all been fired from their jobs. Many networks have dropped these TV personalities from their work.

I came across a tweet from Ana Navarro

It has since circulated the internet and for a very good reason: it is completely true. How can politicians get away with this disgusting act when celebrities and TV personalities, who are just as much in the media as politicians, and the politicians do not suffer any of the consequences?

It came out that Donald Trump had made claims about groping women before the election results, yet he is running our country. Roy Moore just recently announced that he will still be running for Senate after he pursued several teenage girls and sexually assaulted two of them. However, a majority of citizens in Alabama are still supporting him and plan on voting for him in the next special election on December 12th.

Sexual assault is a serious thing and should be taken seriously in every instance. However, giving an unnecessary pass to politicians for no reason is unacceptable. Women and men are worth much more than that. We are becoming used to the assaults being announced on the news every day that we are ignoring the severity they are having in this country. It's time we stop letting people off with passes, especially the people running this country.