Campaigns To Support During Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Campaigns To Participate In During Sexual Assault Awareness Month

April is sexual assault awareness month

17

During sexual assault awareness month, and there are so many campaigns one can get involved in! Here are five of my very favorites.

1. Denim Day

Denim Day is a campaign that began after a ruling by the Italian Supreme Court where a rape conviction was overturned because the justices felt and assumed that because the victim was wearing tight jeans, she must have helped him remove them, thereby implying consent.

The next day, women in the Italian Parliament were so angry that they showed up to work the next day in jeans in solidarity with the victim. Ever since then, this campaign exploded with millions of participants each year. This year's date for Denim Day is April 24th, 2019!

Go get you denim guys and gals!

https://www.denimdayinfo.org/

2. It's On Us 

It's On Us was launched in September of 2014 as a national movement to end sexual assault. It's On Us is meant to engage everyone and asks everyone - parents, students, community leaders, companies, and organizations - to make a change and recognize that the conversation starts with us. It starts with our friends, our churches; government buildings, the workplace. We all have a part to play and a conversation to have.

https://www.itsonus.org/

3. Take Back The Night

Take Back The Night is the first worldwide effort to combat sexual violence and violence against women. The '70s brought the issue of violence against women to the forefront of demanding resources and safety for women. The Take Back The Night Foundation has helped communities plan many events, conferences, and they offer internships.

https://takebackthenight.org/

4. Red My Lips 

Red My Lips is an international nonprofit organization which raises visibility and awareness about the realities and the prevalence of sexual violence. They run an annual global awareness and action campaign where supporters rock red lipstick as a way to show solidarity with victims.

http://www.redmylips.org/

5. End Rape On Campus 

End Rape On Campus works to end campus sexual violence through direct support for survivors and their communities; prevention through education; and policy reform at the campus, local, state, and federal levels.

https://endrapeoncampus.org/

No matter what, get involved. Whether that is within your community or on a federal level, get involved.