Struggles Faced By Business Majors, As Told By "The Office"

It's not just business as usual.

113
CIS Markets

Coming from someone majoring in business at a school that thrives off of business majors, I know how rough it can be sometimes. Being a business major can be awesome, and awful, simultaneously. We work our tails off to be the best, but sometimes the stress can just tear you apart. Here are some struggles faced by business majors that will sound all too familiar.

1. Constantly having to dress business formal.

Every single time you present in any class, dress attire is always business formal. You constantly struggle to get out of bed, put on that expensive suit of yours, and leave the sweatpants and slippers behind. Although this can be a pain sometimes, you definitely feel like Beyoncé walking around campus in your power suit.

2. Group projects.

Your life is a series of group meetings and group presentations. You've had that one kid in your group who does absolutely nothing, but still expects a good grade. Also, Google Docs are your savior, because without them you would probably have to eat, sleep, and breathe with your group members. By the end of the semester, you know every single thing about your group members, and either love them or hate them.

3. Applying for internships.

You spend countless hours submitting applications, resumes, and cover letters, just to never hear back from half of these companies. You start applying in October for an internship that starts in May, but you're still probably behind others. The biggest struggle is that every internship wants someone with experience from another internship. How am I supposed to ever get experience without getting an internship?!

4. Being told your major is easy.

I still don't know why people think this. Personally, I've spent more hours working on group projects and presentations than I have eating and sleeping this semester. All-nighters are our norm, yet somehow, people believe our majors are easy. There's nothing easy about taking five business-related courses in one semester, yet our grades are still probably better than yours.

5. You just want to be rich already.

When the days get tough and the nights get long, your mind wanders off to dreaming about the day where money isn't an issue. Being college students, we know the struggle of watching our bank account fall into a dark hole. The only thing that's getting us through is knowing that, after graduation, we'll be making around $50,000 a year, and it can only go up from there.

6. Explaining to people why you're a business major.

Everyone assumes you're just doing it for the money. Obviously, you can't help but dream of being wealthy, but this is not why you chose this field. Personally, I want to be successful. Success is not defined by an amount of money, but by living a comfortable and happy lifestyle. We're business majors for the same reason you're an education major or biology major; we love what we do.

7. Using LinkedIn like it's Facebook.

While all your friends from home are updating their Facebook profile picture and cover photos, you're over here spending your time updating your LinkedIn headshot, projects, and past volunteer work. LinkedIn is your way of finding all of your other business major friends, and hoping that maybe one day, some company will come across your page and offer you an internship or job.

8. You grow up too fast.

One minute you're in high school, and the next minute, you're all grown up, in your suit, presenting to over 200 people. By the end of freshmen year, you're basically all ready to go out into the real world. It can be tough sometimes, but this is what puts us ahead of other students.

9. Trying way too hard to make a good impression on companies at career fairs.

You don't want to be that person who gets a job by sucking up to a company, but you do. You put on your best suit and try extremely hard to make the best impression possible on these companies. As they say, "First impressions last."

10. Many of your professors have foreign accents.

Many schools do this because they believe that it helps students pay attention to better. Rather than paying attention, you spend the whole class trying to interpret what they're saying. The good thing about this is that we're able to understand many different accents by the time we graduate, so when we interact with people of different cultures at our big-kid jobs, we'll actually have a clue of what they're saying.

11. You don't want to graduate, but you know that you're more than ready.

You don't want to leave, because your whole life everyone has warned you of this thing called "the real world." As hard as it is to hear, you know that you're extremely prepared to conquer that new job of yours.