Sexual Assault Is Something That Needs To Be Addressed At Baylor

Who is telling the truth?

22
Google Images

Sexual assault has been a hot topic across the nation, especially at schools like Baylor. How can Baylor, a school that screams Christian values, continually be in the news for sexual assault case after sexual assault case?

Are all of these accusations true?

As a woman, as someone who has spent a lot of time in the Title IX office at Baylor for various reasons, it physically pains me to speculate the validity of another woman’s cry for help. It’s so hard to reach out for help, and it’s especially hard to come to authorities after being assaulted and report the incident. It could turn your world upside down. However, what if the allegation was false, but still reported? It could turn the alleged victim’s life upside down as well. Being sexually assaulted changes your life forever. Being falsely accused as the perpetrator changes your life too.

The latest sexual assault case for Baylor comes from a woman who claims to have been raped by former Baylor football player Shawn Oakman. Oakman claims the sex was consensual. There are many speculators siding with Oakman on this case.

People find it curious that the case came up right before the NFL draft … in the midst of many of Baylor’s covered sexual assault cases have been brought to light. Other cases have been referenced where the girl has sex with an athlete or person in power, but later reveals that the allegations were actually false. So the question stands: is Shawn Oakman innocent?

Rape is never okay. If Oakman is guilty, I hope he goes to jail and does the time he deserves for severely damaging a girl. No one deserves sexual assault. However, if the sex was indeed consensual, and he is truly an innocent man, I hope that the truth is brought to light. An accusation such as this will stick with his name forever.

I have always wanted to side with the victim on these cases. As previously stated, I fully understand how difficult it is for a victim to ask for help and to report their case. It’s even more heartbreaking when you don’t win your case, and have to life every day knowing your attacker walks free.

But for those who take advantage of the fact that crying “rape” can land someone that they dislike in jail, I hope they understand that the lives of the falsely accused are being ruined. Their names will be tarnished. Just as important as it is for attackers to be brought to justice, those falsely accused deserve to walk free — because they are innocent.

Ultimately, in the case of Shawn Oakman, we may never know the truth. And most of us will move on. But in 10-15 years, the girl who cried rape will still be hurting if she truly is a victim. But in the same way, in 10-15 years, Oakman will still be suffering if he is falsely accused and convicted. In cases like these, we need to trust God that the truth will find its way into the legal courts.