Seven Things I’ve Learned From My Mom

Seven Things I’ve Learned From My Mom

Hands down, it's our parents who mold us into the individuals we are the most. Here are some quotes my mom lives by, and hence, some quotes I live by.

16
Seven Things I’ve Learned From My Mom

1. It is what it is

One of the most important lessons I’ve been taught is that whatever happens, happens. Many things are out of one’s control; there’s no need to cry over spilled milk. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and no matter how long it takes for that reason to be revealed, in my experience, every time something does not go my way and I get uncontrollably upset, there is always an answer.

2. This too shall pass

Nobody is perfect. It’s human nature to make errors and screw up every now and then. Whether it’s a bad test score, a relationship problem, or just a bump in the road, you always have two options: to battle through or give up. My mom always taught me to push myself, and when the going gets tough, battle back. As William Faulkner said, “I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail.”

3. Take it one day at a time

There is always work to do, chores to complete, and checklists to check off. It’s easy to get ahead of yourself, it’s easy to skip steps, and it’s easy to just look to the future. My mom always stressed the importance of being mindful; it’s crucial to spend time to take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy life. Life goes by fast. That’s something you don’t necessarily fathom until you come to the realization that deadlines pass, important days go by, that one thing you were looking forward to is something of the past. That’s why it is ever so obvious that taking things one day at a time is critical in the process.

4. Live in the present

In this day and age, there are so many people who act like zombies, wandering through life with an agenda set for the future, never for the present. Unfortunately, it’s so common it’s concerning. Instead, I was always taught to respect and be a loyal member of the kingdom of the present moment, where focus is set upon the practice of governing yourself in the moment.

5. You get more with honey than you do with vinegar

This is a lesson I have learned from first hand experience in a wide spectrum of areas. At work, it’s always in my favor to treat everyone with not only kindness, but sincerity. At home, it’s more than always in (at least for me) my favor to treat my parents with care and niceness. In a variety of environments, being a sweet and kind person does you much, much better than being rude and sour.

6. Look at life with the glass half full, not half empty

In life, we all know those pessimists who live with hateful and misanthrope-ish expressions. It’s quite easy to decide to be negative, especially in a world where so much negativity is around us. On the contrary, we all know those people who brighten up one’s day and look at things with positivity. My mom always stressed how important it is to be positive, because without positivity, to be frank, life is depressing.

7.Attitude is everything

Possibly the most important lessons I have been taught is how much attitude impacts one’s life. This is something universal-- with the right attitude you can accomplish anything, and with the wrong attitude you can accomplish nothing. Everything is affected by the way one mentally is, so it’s a huge benefit when someone’s attitude is optimistic, open-minded, and encouraging.