7 Reasons Why Volunteering At A Hospital Will Change Your Life

Some things will break your heart and others will just warm your heart.

40169
Joanna Garcia

Whether you are trying to pursue a career in the medical field or you genuinely just want to volunteer to do it at a hospital will change the way you view life. Once you start volunteering at a hospital you are subject to see things that you have never seen before. Some things will break your heart and others will just warm your heart. In the process of it all just remind yourself to take it all in because it is something that will surely change your perspective on life itself.

Here are seven reasons why volunteering at a hospital will change your life:

1. For those who wish to be in the medical field, volunteering at a hospital is everything.

In other words getting the opportunity to work with doctors and actually being in the same vicinity even if you aren't doing the actual work is somewhat of the experience of a lifetime. The chance to really be with doctors and learning from them is a chance to look into a world that you hope to be in the future. The children or even just the patients, in general, is what makes the idea of volunteering everything because you get to somehow strive to make them better.

2. Working with the patients, even if it's just the Child Life section, is a window into what you plan to do for the rest of your life.

The idea of volunteering even if it's just taking care of the children and sitting at their bedside is what makes volunteering great. At the end of the day even if it's the small things like playing with the children and making them smile instead of actually being in the vicinity of being with the doctors, at least you will be getting experience because it starts there. You might be volunteering because you like to volunteer but the chance to help others is what makes this a window into what might be what you plan to do for the rest of your life.

3. Putting a smile on someone's face can make that person's day.

It might seem like a trivial thing but putting a simple smile on a patients face definitely makes the patient. The patient might be going through a hard time whether it be the reason they are currently in the hospital or for other unknown reasons but the chance to make them smile might be the exact thing to make their day or even week better. Its just the small things in life that makes things better.

4. As a volunteer, you must be able to stay detached from the patient.

When it comes to volunteering you must be able to be there for the patient but never be attached to them. Although their needs to come first may happen and you might want to comfort the patient it is best to not get personal only because if something to ever happen to the patient you will not be able to take the pain and things will get complicated. The idea is to stay detached but still be able to feel enough to not make it seem to much for the patient or the family members of that patient.

5. Volunteering at a hospital gives you the opportunity to show the world that you care enough to work without getting paid.

The idea of volunteering is to be able to do it for the betterment of society. It is to show everyone but especially yourself that you can work/volunteer for long hours and not get work but especially love it. The idea is to be selfless enough to be able to help those in need while enlisting long hours because at the end of the day it's all about the patient and making them better.

6. As a volunteer, you need to allow yourself to become selfless.

You need to show others that their feelings in that moment when you are with a patient is what counts. Whether it be getting a child toys to make their stay more eventful and comfortable or getting nurse to get water for the patient one must be able to show that the patient will come first. It is this exact act that will better your life skills in helping others as you go forth in life.

7. Volunteering at a hospital allows you be a better person.

At the end of the day, it's about the patient and the way they are feeling while staying at the hospital. As a volunteer, you must be able to help the patients and make their stay at the hospital more memorable. The chance to volunteer at a hospital changes everything in one's life it gives you the opportunity to make better life choices, show the world that you care about others while still allowing yourself to give hours who need it the most.