Seven Reasons Why You Should Never Ever Befriend a Senior as an Underclassman

65

1. Senioritis is contagious. You'll start to near finals week when you need to focus and pass your classes. But the seniors want to play. They give zero f*cks at this point. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday nights are definitely fair game for going out. You can't really communicate with them because they sleep from 7a to 6pm when it's time to go out again. Oh well, you'll sleep when you're dead.

2. They're terrible influences. They're drunk a lot and they will always want more to drink. It might be in the form of a margarita, a glass of wine, or a beer. It might be at a party, during a meeting, or on a random Wednesday night, but those b*tches love alcohol.

3. They might aggressively claim you as one of their humans (could be the booze talking). Watch out for signs: they'll start by calling you their nugget, they'll take you to parties where they introduce you to their friends as their Little (regardless of whether you're actually affiliated with the same Greek chapter), then you'll just get sucked in because who doesn't want multiple Bigs?

4. You always look dumb next to them because they know way more about life and love. They're always right about your future whether it's in regards to academics, relationships, or general happiness. They turn into literal fortune cookies the moment they hit senior year so if you aren't a fan of prophesy, definitely avoid those smart cookies.

5. Once they start talking, it's really hard to leave. Get comfy with that glass of wine on their couch because you've got things to learn, plans to discuss, and memories over which to reminisce.

6. They're very bossy and make travel plans for you so that they can guarantee visitors when they move away. California, Florida, Taiwan: you'll experience them all because it would just be too tragic for your friends to stay in the Midwest.

7. On the last day of classes, you'll experience this gut-wrenching emotion that evolves from separation anxiety, loneliness, and nostalgia. Symptoms include tears, numbness, and a constant need to be with people. The only remedy is to scroll through old pictures and constantly text them to remind them how much you love them (as if they forgot since you told them an hour earlier).

Hanging with the big kids is a huge risk. It's not for the faint-hearted. But if you want to make exceptional friends who will stand by you even when they graduate, please ignore my advice. Allow them to change your life. Because among the negative effects, you'll find that they're the once-in-a-lifetime people, life coaches, and forever friends.