Seven Important Things To Remember This Semester

Don't forget the most important thing, you've got this!
13

It doesn’t matter what year of college you are going into. If you commute, stay on campus, go home every weekend, or are hours away from home. There alway seems to be this looming excitement of the oncoming year that is also filled with anxiousness and nervousness. What will my classes be like? Will I do okay? Will I be able to keep my grades up? Going into each semester we start out with so much hope and promise and too much of the time, we lose our way. Here’s somethings to also remember going into this semester.

1. You are doing enough. Stop thinking that you need to be involved in every club, every project, every fundraiser,because you are doing enough. You truly are. By doing too much you will be spreading yourself too thin which in the end will do more harm than good. Put everything you got into what you have time to do, don’t feel like you need to add more to your plate.
  2. Stop comparing yourself to people. It doesn’t matter if the person next to you got a higher grade, or that the one girl in your major seems to have it all together. You don’t have to have it all together. Stop thinking you have to be just like these people, because honestly, they aren’t as put together as you think. Everyone struggles and everyone loses their way. No one is perfect, but you’re doing perfect just how you are.
  3. Spend time on yourself. If there's a night you just want to sit back and relax and binge watch Greys or One Tree Hill, do it. Just because everyone is going out doesn’t mean you have too. Take some time for yourself. Paint your nails, read a book, do something you enjoy. College is fun but being surrounded by people all of the time can really take a lot of out you. So drink a glass of wine, take a bubble bath and remember that taking time for yourself is not crime.
  4. Go outside of your comfort zone. One thing I’ve really noticed is that as the semester goes on everyone seems to get stuck in a pattern, get stuck in a comfort zone. You should always take time to do things that you’ve never done. It doesn’t have to be crazy or drastic, it can be as small as going to a coffee shop you’ve never been too. Or going for a run on a different route you’ve never done. Sit with someone new in class or go out of your way to talk to someone you usually wouldn’t have. Surprise yourself everyday.
  5. Put your heart into everything that you do. It can be hard I know and it seems like one of the requirements of college is to be stressed out all of the time, but when you’re doing something, do it with everything you have. Put your heart and your mind to everything that you do. Not only will you feel better with the finished product but looking back and knowing you gave it your all is an unforgettable feeling.
  6. It’s okay to not be okay. College is stressful and that’s an understatement. We forget that it is truly okay to not be okay all of the time. It’s okay to feel like you're drowning, but don’t be scared to ask for help. We have all been there. We’ve all felt like we are stuck and don’t know where to go. Don’t be afraid to ask for help because there is nothing wrong with you or how you feel. It’s okay to acknowledge the help you need because you deserve to become the best possible you.
  7. Have fun. This is the time of your life, don’t forget to get a little crazy