Seven Days with Snapchat Spectacles: A Review

Are they worth the hype?

14

When you ask any millennial what his or her most used form of communication is, most of them will either say texting or Snapchat, a social media app that has taken the world by storm since its inception in 2011.

Due to the app’s popularity, it’s easy for you to start sinking in a sea of snaps, between the urge to post bits about your daily life on your Story to the obsessive desire some have to maintain “streaks” with friends.

And sometimes, you can even get caught up taking video after video at a concert or snapping dozens of photos on vacation that you fail to fully experience important moments uninterrupted.

So, what if I told you, that Snapchat has come out with Snapchat Spectacles: the sleek shades of the future that allow you to record moments throughout your day, hands-free?

With only a few locations in the United States to pick them up in person, Snapchat Spectacles are quickly becoming the coveted “it” item to get for millennials around the world.

An avid Snapchat user myself, last week I found myself across the street from the Snapchat pop-up shop in the Upper East Side. Without hesitation, I immediately jaywalked across the crowded cab-filled street, as a true New Yorker does, and kept my eye on the prize: the giant yellow Snapchat symbol plastered on the nearby city skyscraper.

Walking into the popup shop, I was soon greeted by hipsters cloaked in all black; one stamped my hand with the spectacles logo, and another asked for my credit card and ID to prove I was serious about trying the bad boys on.

And then, ladies and gentlemen, I approached the three magical Spectacle vending machines in the back of the store. Soon after I virtually tried on the glasses using the machine’s camera, I was SOLD.

And so were the Spectacles.

To me…ha!

Sorry.

Although some of my friends claimed that $140.00 was stretching the college-student budget, for someone constantly on the app, I figured it was worth the investment.

Plus, the starting price for Spectacles online start at $999, and run up to $4,000, due to their high demand.

So, as most elderly middle-class American couples exclaim in the aisles of your local Walmart, the transaction in my mind “was a steal!”

And after almost a week of wearing the Spectacles, I still have no regrets; my nose is no longer stuck behind my phone to document my daily activities, and uploading my stories in “one go” at the end of the day makes my life way easier.

Since I’ve quickly come to find that so many people still don’t exactly how the spectacles work, I figured I would give a tutorial/review on the “new and improved” Google glasses.

The first step is putting the glasses on, obviously. When you find yourself in front of a pop-up vending machine in person, you can virtually try on the different color of spectacle shades, from coral to black to teal.

Then, once you buy the spectacles, you have to pair them to your phone so the Bluetooth feature will be enabled. Once the spectacles are under the name you want to user ID to be, your Snapchat friends will be able to tell if the videos were taken with the spectacles in the top of the screen on your stories, as opposed to just your regular phone.

Then, film away my, tech-savy friends! One click will record a 10-second video, two clicks will record a 20-second video, and 3 will record a 30-second video.

Once you are done filming, the videos will automatically be imported via-Bluetooth to your Memories, where you can edit and upload the clips to your story/send them to your friends from there.

Perhaps the coolest feature is the angle of the Spectacles’ camera. If a viewer tilts his/her camera from portrait to landscape, he/she will be able to view the clip with a more realistic-point of view, due to the 115-degree tilt of the camera and impressive depth of field.

If you want to use the glasses solely for the convenient camera feature, you can do that too! The videos can be saved to your camera roll, where you can then do whatever you want with the GoPro-like clips, including convert the videos to HD. Cool, right?

Perhaps another favorite moment of mine was freaking people out in the New York subway. Once metro passengers saw the tiny LED screen start to swirl on the left side of my glasses, they freaked out!

However, the spectacles have mixed reviews. While some complain that you can only shoot videos and not photos with the glasses, others argue that the videos take a while to import into the memories. I, however, label myself as a pretty impatient person and haven’t had any major issues with the loading time.

Another main complaint about the spectacles is that the Bluetooth feature quickly drains the phone battery.

Snapchat was aware of this possibility, however, and created a sunglass case that can charge the glasses when you aren’t wearing them. While the case can charge the spectacles up to four different times before the case itself needs to be charged, the “starter” pack also comes with a thick cable chord to charge the phone directly into an outlet.

I admit, I am biased about the Snapchat Spectacles. I am a loyal customer of the brand, and for someone like me constantly wanting to document interesting things I stumble upon in my daily life, the specs have been tremendously helpful.

So are Snapchat Spectacles worth the hype? In my opinion, most definitely.