Setting Realistic Goals for This Semester

This year I want to stick closely to my goals, but also set realistic ones.

29

This summer I decided to be more organized for this upcoming semester. As a freshman last year I felt very rushed to adapt and my find my own way. Now that I am more experienced and know my campus I feel my equipped to tackle the year ahead of me.

I tried to set goals last year but slightly failed. Even though I kept my stuff organized and managed to stay above the water with assignments, I felt as if I was always a step behind. So this year I want to stick closely to my goals, but also set realistic ones. I feel ever since High School the goals I set were a little too extreme. Like, yes, I would love to get straight A+’s while being in five clubs, but it is not realistic. Instead, I should’ve set goals that I know I could obtain, that way I was over stressing myself. Because when I become over stressed I just lose focus and end up just wanting to get the work over with.

I decided to write my goals here this year so that not only would I feel obliged to stick to them, I would hopefully give other people ideas too.

1. Keep my room clean

I did a pretty good job with this last year but you never know what will happen. For me specifically I find it hard to function in clutter. Even so I do find myself creating a few junk piles that I push off to clean. This year I just want to keep up cleaning my room and make sure it is a habitual place for both my roommate and I.

2.Try to at least start a paper a few days before due

I know a lot of people say they procrastinate but I am a pro- procrastinator. Every year I tell myself I won’t procrastinate. Last year I did okay. But I know I can do better. So instead of saying that I will get my papers and assignments done a week before, which I know will never happen right now, I am going to say that I want to at least start it a few days before. This way I can extend my capabilities and once I get into a routine, I can try to push myself even further. However, be aware. It is said that procrastinators are actually the more dedicated students that are just perfectionists and therefore are scared to start an assignment and then not get it too their standards. So while being a procrastinator may not be a red flag, you may still want to try to correct your ways.

3. Study in a place other than my room

I was guilty of never leaving my room study. While it was convenient it was a little too comfortable. I always found a way to get distracted or avoid my responsibilities. When you go out of your way to do work elsewhere such as at a library or common space, you will likely be more productive.

4. Go to a new place

Even though it is seen that the ideal college lifestyle is to spend all you time studying, it is actually okay to some breaks. Especially for residents, going to college is about discovering a new place. Even as a commuter I doubt that you have visited everywhere near you. So this semester I am going to take some breaks and go spend time in new places.

5. Try my absolute best

It would be easy to set the grades I want. However, it’s had to that before going into a class you have never taken before. Some will be harder or easier than others. So instead I want to just say that I will try the best I can no matter what. I guess at the end of the semester I will be the judge if I stuck with this goal.