set it up netflix rom com

'Set It Up' Is The Rom-Com Every Millennial Needs

Because it's about more than romantic happiness.

289
set it up pizza scene

Although "Set It Up" is not the cleanest romantic comedy on the market, full of extramarital affairs and expletives, it contains a new sense of hope. While viewers will no doubt be delighted by the rises and falls involved in the many romantic relationships in the movie, from sports editor Kristen's and financer Rick's tumultuous relationship to Charlie trying to keep his model girlfriend Suze to Harper trying to get back in the dating game, the movie is about something even more important to most millennials: career success.

Charlie is 28 and frustrated with still being an assistant. Harper is 25 and despite her journalistic aspirations, has never written a sports article. They dream of being as successful as their bosses, but decide that until then they'll set them up with each other so that they can be free. Kristen and Rick, when happy together, promote Harper and Charlie in a way that makes every millennial's heart race. Who doesn't hope that after years of slowly working up the ladder, their boss will see their worth and give them their shot?

After that moment of ecstatic happiness, though, everything seemingly falls to pieces. Rick cheats on Kristen with his ex-wife. When Harper tries to explain how she played fate to her boss and tell her about the infidelity, Kristen fires her in disbelief. Harper is devastated that she's lost the key to her dream job.

Rick and Kristen stay happily engaged while Charlie refuses to share his part of the fate-playing game until he suffers an attack from his conscience when at dinner with his model girlfriend. He realizes that he's actually not happy and he hates what he does, remembering Harper's questions about why he wants to be like his cheating, rude boss. We millennials want to like what we do, as illustrated by Harper's passion for her career choice, but with our financial situation what he does next seems like suicide: he runs to the airport and prevents Kristen and Rick from eloping, quitting in the process.

It's a surprising scene to see in a romantic comedy. All of the couples are supposed to end happily-ever-after in rom coms, right? No one cheats. Flaws are either non-existent or forgiven. If someone gets fired or quits, they quickly find a job they actually enjoy that pays them plenty of money. Such is the millennial dream.

Which is almost how "Set It Up" concludes. Rick comes by Charlie's apartment and asks for information about his ex-wife in hopes of getting back together with her. When Harper goes to the office to collect her things, Kristen, happily single, tells her she can have her job back.

But Harper, in her time off, has finally begun writing and knows she won't have enough time to write if she continues as an assistant. Instead, Kristen gives her writing advice. When leaving the office, Harper discovers that Charlie has quit and is going to look for a job that he actually enjoys. They embrace happily, finally admitting their love for each other.

Everyone is happy in the end, even if they are not all set up together as the viewer originally assumed would happen. Charlie and Harper aren't just happy in their new relationship either, they're happy with their careers and their future. This is what we millennials have been wanting to see: people our age struggling with all aspects of life, from romance to career, and triumphantly ending with hope in those areas. We know that this is a movie and that our lives may never be this hilarious and perfectly-timed, but it nevertheless gives us hope.