Serving Up Food For Thought

Serving Up Food For Thought

Take time to feed your mind with thoughts you may have yet to think about.

7
entechus.com

The one thing that would be most difficult or inconvenient to live without is…

I’m sure many of us have had a mini heart attack after realizing that our phones had gone missing, only to find it in our back pocket. That’s my reaction almost every day!

The thing that would be most difficult and inconvenient for me to live without is… yes, you guessed it. My cell phone. It's literally like having everything I've ever needed right in the palm of my hands.

Just like me, people use their cell phones for a variety of different reasons; to send and receive texts, to take photos and videos, to download apps, to shop, and even to plan out their week. Interestingly, according to Forbes.com, the percentage of people who use their cell phones for these exact reasons has nearly tripled within 6 years. This goes to show that people rely on their cell phones more often than not.

Technology continues to advance whether we like it or not, but, with all of these advancements, we have to ask ourselves one question: is it all a good thing or a bad thing?

First and foremost, we have to admit that technology has made a lot of things easier for us. All the way from helpful banking options to something as simple as keeping in contact with old friends. However, with every good thing there’s a bad to accompany it. We have allowed technology to take over our lives. Evidence of this is present in computer-operated machines that take the place of humans, therefore killing hundreds of jobs. Not only are robots taking jobs, they're also lessening our interaction with other humans. We need to be reminded that the best relationships are ones we have face to face, not through a screen. We depend on technology more than we ever should.

Arguably, our generation, also referred to as the millennials, are the ones who understand technology the best. We can also be defined as the “tech generation” because we are so in tune with a variety of new technological advancements. We are the ones creating and questioning, which is why we are in the perfect position to set the pace for generations to come by teaching them that moderation is key.

Yes, I cannot live without my phone, and yes, it is inconvenient to live without it, but I continue to find ways to transfer that dependency to other areas of my life like spending quality time with the loved ones. I learned that I couldn’t continue to allow technology to fuel the global apathetic tendencies of the world.

The next time you find yourself having an anxiety attack because you left your phone home, rethink, and consider breaking out of the habit of solely relying on technology. After all, humans before us lived without it, so we can too!