How Being A Server Has Changed Me

How Being A Server Has Changed Me

I will never look at waitressing the same again.

59
How Being A Server Has Changed Me
Unsplash

When I first started looking for jobs in and after college, I knew one thing:I did not want to go back to food service. Now, working at a small restaurant in Blacksburg since September, I have changed my views.

First, a little background on me and my food service experience. I worked as a hostess when I was 15 at a small, mom-and-pop seafood place. I worked 10 hours a week for four months and quit when marching band practice needed my attention and time more.

I worked in food service again making milkshakes two months after graduating high school and quit to start preparing for college. While the two were great at the time and were a steady (albeit small) income, I knew I could do better and told myself to apply everywhere else.

Fast forward a bit and I am once again unemployed. I applied to receptionist jobs, bank jobs, online editing jobs, anything higher up where I could use my degree and get the experience I needed for my dream job (children’s book editing).

All those applications turned up dead. It was a month before my friend finally convinced me to apply to the restaurant she works at. “It’ll be fun,” she said, “you can always keep applying while you work there.”

So, I sucked up my pride and put in an application. Three days later, I was called in for an interview and got hired on the spot. Hooray for $2.35 an hour wage and relying on tips for income.

As it turns out, I over-exaggerated my worries on working in food service again (and if you know me, that’s not hard to believe). The regulars were nice, the pace wasn’t too overwhelming, I did not drop a whole tray of food or drinks (until last week), and the pay was decent. I do still have bad days, but I realize that’s part of every job.

Being a server has not only proved my past fears wrong but has taught me to respect everyone in all stages of life. I know now that even the smallest of jobs can make a difference in people’s lives if used correctly. I can make a child smile by telling her I accidentally put too much chocolate in her hot chocolate. I can talk to customers who are by themselves about their day.

Small acts of kindness, but enough to hopefully make someone’s day better.

Outside of food service, I used to be very soft spoken and did not know how to start a conversation. Being a server has taught me how to speak up, how to talk to people about their day or lives (when possible), and how to tell when I’m talking too much.

I was also shy, afraid of making people mad, and wanted everything I did to be perfect. Being a server has taught me how to speak up and hold my ground when a customer is upset, how to not be as sensitive to everyone, and that I’m not Supergirl.

I will make mistakes and not everything I do will be perfect. I now know how to handle myself and others when I mess up and not fall apart.

All in all, though this job is just temporary and not my end goal, it really has changed me for the better.