To The High School Senior Who Just Got Accepted Into The Ohio State University

Ohio State is an amazing university, but here are some things to learn before you start your freshman year

432
Sarah Avdakov

Congratulations on being accepted into the Ohio State University! There are so many people who want to go here, and you get to join the Buckeye family in the fall. I know that being accepted, but not having another chance to tour can be difficult, but there are so many things to look forward to over the next four years!

Columbus is an amazing place to live.

Sarah Avdakov

Campus is kind of a little city in and of itself, but the best part of being on campus is the fact that you're in the middle of Columbus. OSU is located on the bus line, and if you travel south, you can hit the Short North, Arena District, and German Village; and if you go north, you hit Clintonville, which are all unique areas with shopping and amazing restaurants that you'll never get bored of visiting.

There is no place like Columbus for food.

If you're looking for ANY type of food, you can find it in Columbus. If you're looking for a good brunch place near campus, Hang Over Easy is the place to go, especially if you're in the mood for potatoes and drinks. The real source of Columbus's food diversity is the North Market, while it's located closer to downtown, it's easy to reach and is the best place to eat with at friends on the weekend.

The best part of living in the dorms is the community.

While there are some dorms on south campus that are older, and don't have air conditioning, the community there is amazing every year. The dorms on north campus are newer, and there are more roommates, so you have more people to go to different events with. Living in the dorms gives you the unique opportunity to meet new people and make life long friends.

Football games are the place to be on weekends.

In the fall, the most popular place to be are football games. If you're looking for a place to feel most like a part of the Buckeye family, football games are the place to look. If you get student tickets with friends, then the games are more fun, and gives you something else in common with the majority of other students.

Be prepared, Ohio's weather is inconsistent, and it makes walking around campus a pain.

If you're from Ohio, you're probably prepared for the craziness that is our weather. When you move in during August, you will need plenty of shorts and t-shirts to survive the heat, and then by mid-October, you'll need a coat to walk across campus, but by the time that you get to your classes, you'll be too hot. The most important clothing purchase you can make is a large coat for the winter. Campus can experience all four seasons in one day, and you need to be prepared.

The one thing that brings the whole campus together is the fight against the Oval Preachers.

One of the first signs of spring at Ohio State every year is the reappearance of the Oval Preachers, there to yell at all of the students and tell them all of their sins. The second sign of spring, is when the students come out to fight back. The only thing that collectively unites the students, no matter what they believe, is that the Oval Preachers go too far in what they do.

Make the most of your time, and take advantage of every opportunity.

JAMS Photography

Even though high school is ending on such a weird note, know that great times are coming. You have an amazing opportunity, and a wonderful four years ahead of you. By the time you're a graduating senior, choosing a college will seem like a distant memory, and you want to feel like you made the most of the four years in between.