Sending A Sibling To College

Sending A Sibling To College

They always seem little until they're not.

9
Sending A Sibling To College

As an older sibling, you never think about your younger siblings going to college. Sure you talk about their dream school and what they want to do with their life but you never actually picture them on move-in day. It’s one of those things that seem so far off in life even though you know it will happen. Until, all of a sudden, you are in their dorm room with the last box of stuff and everything becomes instantaneously real.

It’s hard to put into words exactly how that situation feels. First of all, it makes you feel old to see your little sibling who will always be “little” doing grown up things just like you. Once that settles in, and you accept the fact that you are now aged, you realize even more how important they are and how much you care for them. You want the world to all fall into place and give them exactly what you know they deserve in life. You silently pray that a boy or girl will never break their heart, that their classes will be minimal stress and that they always have a safe way home. But most importantly you wish for their life to be forever full of happiness.

So to my little siblings on their way to their freshman year, don’t be afraid. This is the beginning of a new chapter full of stories and memories you can’t even imagine yet. Don’t stay in your dorm room or in your comfort zone because you will miss out on so many experiences that go along with the crazy time that makes up college. Know that, as your sibling, I am always here for you at any time of the day on any day of the week. I couldn’t be more excited for you to start some of the best years of your life and meet some of your new best friends along the way. Know that this big old world is yours to roam, explore and love but don’t forget where home is for family dinner. Your support system will be there for you no matter what and we can’t wait to see all that life has in store for you in the future.

Dream big and never stop because anything less is settling.

With love always,

The sibling you used to fight with