When You Lose Motivation, Put Yourself In A Place To Find Some

Figuratively or literally – you decide.

847
Brooke Cagle

There comes a point in a semester when everything seems to be moving fast, except you. Your brain seems to be short-circuiting, your heart is downright exhausted, and your body is just ready to tap-out. But, unfortunately, your professors have other plans for you, which means you still need to hold it together for the next couple of weeks until your very last final is over.

In my lifetime, I don't think I've ever felt such a severe lack of motivation to do anything school related. I wake up in the morning and feel an immediate urge to go right back to sleep in an attempt to avoid responsibilities. My to-do list is overwhelming and my classes have me completely drowned in projects, papers, articles, and tests. There's is nowhere and no time for me to breathe, and I'm really just barely holding on.

The reality is, everyone has semester slumps. They come usually during the second-half of the school year and right before finals. You're drained physically, mentally, and emotionally, and nothing really seems to be helping. Don't get me wrong, I've had them many times before in my life, but it's never been as bad as it is right now.

Lately, I've been trying to take a day during the week that I can dedicate to relaxation or fun. This past week, I took a little road trip to Tampa with my boyfriend, went to Volcano Bay for the day (Universal's new waterpark), and I've made sure I set time aside in a day to do something for me, which usually involves going to the movies (Thanks, Moviepass).

But no matter how hard I try to make myself relax, I never feel calm.

Whenever I am doing anything, whether it's school-related or not, I'm always thinking about everything I have to do and the little time I have to do it all. This feeling of complete overwhelm has me struggling--day in and day out.

I was talking with some friends the other day about this feeling I have that is somewhat very new to me: this complete avoidance to accomplish anything. While getting it off my chest helped in some ways and provided a little clarity, I still don't feel better. We cracked it up to be a junior year rut that every third-year college student feels, even though knowing I am not alone doesn't make me feel any better.

One thing that I've been trying to do and that has actually been somewhat working is putting myself in a place that allows me to be surrounded by hardworking individuals. This usually means going to a coffee shop for a day to figure out my life or meeting with some friends on campus between classes for a study group session. Although this does very little to alleviate my pressures, in some ways it reminds me that in order to get through this, I have to fight it.

Just this past week, as well, I ordered two copies of Darling Magazine about power and persistence in hopes of giving me some much-needed motivation. (Fun fact: they're having a major sale so their issues are only $6 when normally they are $20). I find that I feel my best when I surround myself with people, both physically and mentally, who are working hard at achieving their dreams, too.

So if you're like me, struggling to find any motivation to finish this school year, hang in there. Surround yourself with people that keep you working diligently and try as hard as you can to get in that mindset. Change your phone background to something inspirational or that sparks your creativity, and get to work. I know exhaustion can be unbearable, but if I can do it, so can you.

Hang in there.