The End Of The Semester Is Coming

The End Of The Semester Is Coming

Now what?

86
The End Of The Semester Is Coming
Nick.com

As the end of the semester approaches, stress starts to kick in big time for college students.

It feels like yesterday that it was barely August and today it is already November. For some of us this means crunch time.

Every semester a lot of us tell ourselves that we will be completely focused, get straight A's, and *insert whatever other goal you gave yourself here*. These goals can sometimes start falling through mid way through the semester. But that doesn't mean there isn't any hope left and that we should start freaking out!!!! Here are some things to do to end the semester strong, even if you have somewhat fallen off the wagon already.

1. Take a DEEP breath

During times of stress, most people forget to breathe. This is a time where there are a million things running through your head and because of that, you will be more prone to be forgetful of things you need to do if you continue to freak out. Going out for a walk, a hike or any type of exercise of your choice, helps the body de-stress and relaxes the mind. While you're taking this time to de-stress your body and mind, take deep breaths and only focus on your inner peace. Ditch all your worries and thoughts for those few hours, until you are finished exercising.

2. Do brain dumps

On a piece a paper, write down everything you have to do and everything that is on your mind. Whether it be school related and/or also personal things to get done, write them down. Doing brain dumps helps keep the mind at ease. Once you have written down all these things, if you have a planner or some sort of calendar, write down deadlines, important dates, and when you are going to get these things done. If you don't have a planner, a good idea is to just write on a piece of paper the date and all the things you need to get done that day. Do the same thing with the next few days. Don't overwhelm yourself either. Find a balance between days to get things done.

3. Talk to your professor

If you have questions about anything, TALK to your professor. Professors are human beings. They have feelings. They (most of the time) know the stress you are going through. Don't be that student who asks for extra credit at the end of the semester. If you didn't pay attention in class or missed assignments, well then that's your responsibility. If there is extra credit available, DO IT. Most of the time, professors give a syllabus at the beginning of the semester, so look over that before you go in to talk to your professor. Ask what you can do to better prepare yourself for your final or what exactly they are looking for in your final paper or project.

4. DO NOT DWELL

Like I said previously, if you didn't turn in a lot of assignments or pay attention in class, do not be that student that asks your professor for extra credit, because chances are he/she won't give it to you. Look for other ways that will be a booster for your final grade. Don't dwell on all the things you could have done or should have done because ultimately, you won't ever be able to go back. Focus on the now and the what's next, what can I do now, looking forward aspect of the situation. What can you do now that will make your final paper really POP to your professor? Or who could you possibly set up a study session with now to get ahead of studying for that final test? The worst thing you could do is be hard on yourself for what you could have done. That will only bring along more stress and negativity, which you don't need at this point. Focus on how you will recover from this and how you can change small habits now. That will save you from getting a bad grade in a few weeks. Who knows, you may surprise yourself when you discover the inner strength and perseverance you have within you!!!

"The difference between winning and losing is most often not quitting." -Walt Disney