How To Sell Yourself

How To Sell Yourself

College is an advertising game.
19

"Adaptation and awareness," a speaker had said during one of the past presentations I had attended to in school. Those were among many traits that a successful salesperson had; college students are salesmen and women. They are selling themselves. They are putting themselves out on the market to be hired for their dream jobs. And so, just how do you become a successful salesperson? How do you make yourself the best option out there for consumers/future employers to hire?

Well first of all, you must understand the idea that everything you do is global. Today’s technology has grown to such an extent, that only time and culture are the remaining borders between people of the same professional field. So it becomes our inadvertent duty to keep updated and knowledgeable about worldly news and cultural differences. We can no longer operate on the assumption that others will be understanding of complete ignorance of other cultures, business practices, ideals, and foundations. With technology, it aids and hurts you as a salesperson. It not only provides you an easy access to facts, but also prompts you to keep updated on them. Nothing is secular anymore, every large corporation’s market transcends the concept of distance. In order to appear as marketable and effective as possible, you have to show that you are willing to adapt and learn about the other side - about the people who you will be making business with, and what their organizations are founded upon.

As an aspiring professional worker, discipline, respect, and adaptivity are the three main characteristics you have to adopt. You are essentially entering the lowest caste system when you finally get a job in the professional world. This means that you have to show not only reverence to your older peers, but show that you have are very self-disciplined and flexible. The former because you want to show you what you are capable of, and that you are able to self-edit any mistakes that could harm or hinder you or your work; the latter because you want to show that you are willing to do what it takes to gain more experience and consequently advance in terms of position.

At least, that is what all the professionals I have talked to keep reiterating. So don't think my words come out of just my mind - they come out of professional mouths who have experienced and interviewed countless of salespeople - college students and graduates. I am just repeating their advice.

On one last note, I have noticed that there is always that idea of confidence, and self-worth that runs rampant throughout all minds - young and old. It's not wrong to think you are worth a lot, because you are - you are worth more than anyone could every pay for. But in the professional workforce, your self-worth does not amount to your starting job title or position. It is your capability - your skill set that demands the respect beyond the norm.