Self-Care: More Than Just Bath Bombs And Face Masks

Taking care of your body and your mind is oh-so important.

309

Let's face it, 2018 was full of some weird trends that no completely normal person would think to record and post on the internet. You know the ones I'm talking about: the soap cutting videos, the tire crushing videos, etc.

But of all the trends from 2018 that were carried into 2019, self-care has been the best and probably least destructive of them all. The problem though is that self-care is being promoted as sitting in a hot bath with a bath bomb, a few candles, the lights off, and maybe some music and a snack. But self-care is so much more than that.

The main importance of self-care is taking care of yourself and making sure that you are healthy.

Sure, slapping a face mask on your face can be healthy for your skin, but does outside appearance really matter if you aren't feeling good mentally or physically? I'm going to give you some tips for some actual self-care that needs to be more in the media. I know that this is easier said than done, but I promise that even if you only do one or two of these things, you will start to feel so much better.

1. Physical Health

This is a huge one but sometimes can be hard to conquer due to time and all the responsibilities that you may have on your shoulders. Some things that you can do to improve your physical health is by eating healthier, getting an adequate amount of sleep, practicing good hygiene, and exercising at least three times a week.

One way that I like to plan out my week to be able to add these things into my schedule is to sit down and do homework whenever I possibly get the time whether that's in between classes, during lunch or dinner, whenever. This then makes me feel good about what I've accomplished in the day and I allow myself time for the gym.

And believe it or not, the gym is fun! You'll feel so much more energized, happy, and so confident in what you accomplished that day. I also know that getting an adequate amount of sleep and staying on a healthy diet can be impossible, especially as a college student, but if you ever feel overloaded or it's getting to the 10 p.m. mark, it's probably best for you to save it for the next day and get some rest.

I also recommending snacking throughout the day and subbing water for soda. I promise you this is the best alternative and you won't believe that amount of energy that you have throughout the day that you never did before.

2. Manage Your Stress and Your Time

Finding a balance is hard, but it's the best way to take care of yourself mentally which is also a huge part of self-care. But finding a healthy balance between everything and learning how to manage your time and your stress is a little easier than finding the time and a way to manage your physical health.

Doing things as simple as stepping away and doing your favorite activity, watching an episode or two of your favorite Netflix show, or even meditation or yoga can help you manage your stress as you step away and take a deep breath. Managing stress is not only really good for your mental health but also just your overall health.

When it comes to time management, my favorite thing to do it to make a priority list. By this I mean I write down the day and then list from highest priority to lowest priority what things need to get done that specific day.

This helps you feel a little less stressed because even if you have a long list if you manage to get at least the top three done you will feel so accomplished and be okay with how you spent your day. Seeing things on paper always just puts the mind at ease.

3. Learn To Say No, Learn To Live Your Life

Remember to do things that make you happy and not to be afraid to say no to people. Take time out of your day that you enjoy doing and wouldn't necessarily consider being a chore. Instead of mowing the lawn, find something you enjoy to do outside. Instead of cleaning the bathroom, maybe take a bubble bath and read your favorite book.

If you need time to yourself on a Friday night when your friends have made plans with you, don't be afraid to say no. Sometimes spending some time with yourself, maybe even watching a sad or romantic movie and getting a good cry out, can be really healthy for you. Constant social interaction isn't always the best option and that's okay. Don't be sorry, if your friends don't understand then that is on their end.

4. Love Yourself

This one is a lot easier said than done and I know this from personal experience. Learning to love yourself is a huge process in self-care and almost ties into the last point that I made.

Having a healthy relationship with yourself and knowing when to step away from things leads to positive feelings toward yourself and even a confidence boost. Do whatever you need to do to fall back in love with yourself.

Sometimes for me, this involves getting all dressed up and doing my hair and make-up just to take some bomb pictures of myself, because, in reality, I'm not going anywhere.

I want you all to remember how incredibly important, amazing, and capable you are. And to keep being that amazing person that the girl next door wishes she was, you have to remember to take care of yourself. If you're serious about being the best that you can be, taking care of your mind and your body, and boosting your confidence, here are just a few steps you can take right now to get on track with the self-care train:

1. Go for a run or a light jog

2. Have a really good laugh at least once a day

3. Try to avoid emotional eating and sneak some vegetables into at least one meal

4. Start a journal & stop over thinking

5. Learn to say 'no'

Now go out and conquer the world.

From Your Site Articles