How To Put Yourself First

How To Put Yourself First

A guide to self-care and happiness.

418
How To Put Yourself First
https://unsplash.com/photos/NTyBbu66_SI

Self-care is one of the most important practices for any human being. We have to take care of ourselves and put ourselves first for the sake of our mental and physical health. Sustaining good mental health allows for us to have a positive mindset, increase our self-confidence, boost healthy relationships and many more useful effects. Here are some helpful tips and ideas that have helped me and others with staying happy through stressful times.

Meditation

Meditation is a constructive practice that provides you with time for yourself and your mind. This allows you to clear your mind of any thoughts and practice mindfulness. Meditation helps with controlling anxiety and stress. The main idea of meditation is to stay calm and not overwork your mind with overwhelming thoughts. Meditation teaches you how to let go of negative thoughts. Breathing meditation is a common yet simple practice that requires you to put all of your focus on your breathing. This means that you will try to avoid any thoughts from entering your mind and put all of your attention on your breathing. Most people practice this while sitting with their legs criss-crossed in a relaxed position with their hands in their lap. There are many other forms of meditation, if this specific one isn't meant for you. Meditation is a perfect way to relax one's mind and body.

Writing In A Journal

Having bottled up thoughts is the last thing you want to do to yourself. In the need to rant or share something about your day? Write it in a journal. If you struggle with anxiety, stress, or overthinking sometimes, writing your thoughts can really help. This allows you to gain control of your feelings and creates a personal output. Journaling aids in improvement of mental clarity and focus. For some people, journals are also a way to organize their thoughts and ideas so that they can plan accordingly for their day-to-day routine. All in all, this is a simple way to better take care of yourself and mind.

Expression Through Art

Similar to journaling, having a creative outlet is another way to take care of yourself. Creative expression and passions are important to have as individuals. Photography, painting, drawing, sculpting, music, and other forms of art are great examples of this. Creating gives you a sense of freedom and lets you use your imagination. It's good to put your focus on something you have fun doing and relaxes you. This can give you a sense of productivity and completion. Personally, I enjoy painting a lot, it makes me feel accomplished and helps take away my stress. It's important to not be hard on yourself as well, you're doing what makes you happy and that is all that matters.

Healthy Habits

Practicing healthier habits through fitness, nutrition, and a better sleep schedule contributes to better mental and physical health. Exercising is a great way to make yourself feel productive and promotes a flourishing lifestyle. Beginning your day with physical activity will not only make you feel accomplished, but will boost your energy throughout the day. Exercise will benefit your mental health, as it will act as stress relief. Scientifically, exercise increases concentrations of norepinephrine, a chemical that can moderate the brain's response to stress. Nutrition goes hand in hand with exercise by practicing healthy eating habits. Your body is a temple and requires you to take care of it by eating when needed. Your diet is an important part as it nourishes your body and fuels you throughout the day. Another way to help better yourself is to incorporate sleep into your busy schedule. Sleep is a big factor when it comes to your emotions and how you go about with your day. Many people disregard the importance of sleep, but it can actually improve concentration and productivity. These are all very significant when it comes to taking care of yourself because it includes both physical and mental states.

Treating yourself with kindess is form of saying that you love yourself. As humans, we have to take time and recognize who we are and what we need mentally and physically. Although times can be tough and busy, we must put ourselves first and practice self-care so we can enjoy the life we live.