5 Best Self-Care DIYs To Cozy Up To This Winter

It's time to treat yourself.

44

I have only met a handful of people who genuinely love the winter. People love parts of winter—like Christmas, time with family, and nights cuddled by the fireplace—but it also gets dark before dinner and driving in the snow is a nuisance. Not to mention the many people who struggle with seasonal depression. I know a face mask isn't going to fix all your problems, but taking the time to do something for yourself might warm your heart a little.

For me, self-care is paramount when the weather outside is frightful. Here are some of my favorites:

1. DIY Sugar Scrub

Cold weather means dry skin. A sugar scrub is a quick and cheap way to treat your skin to some serious exfoliating. My favorite recipe for a sugar scrub is as simple as it gets:

- 1/2 cup of sugar

- 3 tablespoons of melted coconut oil

-10 drops of whatever essential oils I am feeling that day (optional; do I think essential oils are some magical cure for everything? No, but they smell good and are supposedly safe for the skin.)

I mix all the ingredients together and use it in the tub or shower. You can get super fancy with your scrubs and add in things like tea, vitamin e oil, or whatever is skin-safe and you have lying around your house. It helps keep my skin from getting so rough in the winter and I love how easy it is!

2. DIY Journal

Journalling is my favorite form of self-care. I value it immensely now, but it is pretty hard to get into the habit of taking the time every day to write. The easiest way to start forming a habit is to make it pretty!

My friends and I decorated some composition books we had laying around our rooms during my freshman year of college and I have never looked back. My favorite way to decorate is using rubber cement to adhere patterned cardstock to the covers of my journals and fun scrapbooking stickers to add personal touches.

If you want more detailed instructions, this website has a great tutorial using patterned paper and glue strips.

3. DIY Weighted Blanket

I have to admit that I have never done this one. However, I do have a weighted blanket and it has been a LIFESAVER during those cold winter months when you just need an extra level of coziness.

There are a ton of ways to do this, but most of them involve the same basic elements: a source of weight (such as beads), fabric, and a way to keep the weight evenly distributed.

This person used a cross-hatch of straight stitches to keep weighted poly pellets in place.

This is probably the most expensive DIY on this list, but compared to the price of a retail weighted blanket it is a real bargain. Plus, think of all the fun you will have making it.

Always remember to do your research to find out what is the right weight for you and your body. It can be dangerous to use a blanket that is too heavy for you.

4. DIY Microwavable Heating Pack

If you don't have the time or money to make a weighted blanket, you might try making you own heating pad. No one likes to be cold, and if you are like me and are eternally freezing, then the winter can be a struggle. I love having heating packs on hand to help relieve achy muscles or just to help me get extra comfy cozy.

All you need is fabric that won't melt in the microwave, a needle and thread, and rice. If you are unsure about what fabric to use, I would seek out the advice of the fabric store attendant. They should be able to point you toward cozy cotton or flannel that will be safe to heat up.

This tutorial gives step-by-step instructions on how to sew and fill these heating pads!

5. DIY Tumbler

I know a tumbler might make you think more summer than winter, but I know that I slack on drinking enough water when the weather gets cooler. Like I said earlier, the easiest way to start forming a habit is to make it pretty! Staying hydrated is a hugely under-rated way to self-care, and having a fancy tumbler will make you excited to keep your body happy.

This DIY uses mason jars, vinyl stickers, glitter, and mod podge to make cute, customizable tumblers that don't break the bank!

These would also make great gifts to give to your friends and family so you and everyone you love can get enough H2O all year round.