Sometimes I Need To Remind Myself Why I Love Living In NYC, So I Pretend I'm A Tourist

What a great daily reminder to always try and see things through tourist's eyes once in a while to keep the spark burning.
546

So far, I've found that whenever I’m down or even just 'eh' about New York City, acting like a tourist again always makes me excited to be here.

A friend of mine was in town recently, and constantly doing touristy or local things with her brought life and excitement to the little things that are exciting and different about NYC — the things I was once excited about when I moved here. Sometimes it’s so easy to get caught up in the negatives of city life - the fast pace, rude people, overcrowding, and how dirty it is that we forget to see all the beauty around us.

Being like a tourist, or showing a friend around the city, is perfect for this because it allows you to discard your old glasses and grab a new rose-colored pair that sees the beauty. A friend who is visiting sees all the excitement, and all the pros of the city- that’s the whole reason they visited.

Taking part in their excitement is contagious and always immediately makes me feel brand new. I forget about my reasons for being ‘eh’ about the city and immediately am high off the rush and whirl of the city seen through fresh eyes.

Everything is magical!

"Wow, that building is pretty, wow I love cabs and brownstones and the city lights, oh my!"

I just read an article about New York saying that ‘the city will reflect your mood’, and I can’t agree more. When you are down, you see the ugliness of the city, but when you are happy the possibilities feel endless, and mundane views appear beautiful. That’s why viewing the city through the eyes of a curious, excited tourist gets me revved up about the city.

Think of the grand and unique things of your town that people visit for, that people would kill to experience. My hometown, Grand Junction, CO was never anything too special to me - and yet when I tell people about it that live here in the city- they are floored. Oh my god you had horses??? Mountains?? Sign me up!!