The Secrets To Being The Healthiest You This Summer

Stop the excuses and let's make change.

3
Taylor DeMarco

Everyone wants to be healthy in the summertime. We all want to rock our bathing suits on the beach and have that "summer glow" everyone raves about. However, some may not know where to start, especially since there's way too many confusing health guides available on the internet. Today, we have a simplified list of the best tips researched from these lists to inspire you to change your bad habits and make a happier and healthier you.

1. The most obvious: eat the best you can, without obsessing over calorie count.

Yes I know, this is the most known fact on the internet. It's true, the better you eat, the better you'll feel. Eat in moderation and limit the junk food without obsessing over your calorie intake.

2. Drink 64 oz. of water a day.

Yes, your mom and doctor always told you this because it's true. Hydration is the most important things you can do for your body. Water makes up about 60 percent of your body weight, meaning water is essential for all your organs to work properly. This also helps with keeping your skin balanced and flushing out toxins in your body.

3. Make a change in the shower: if you can't read the ingredients, don't use it.

This goes for most of your products in the shower or out of the shower: go natural. Your body absorbs all the chemicals in your lotions, body washes and shampoos. Pay attention to the ingredients label and use natural products. Lush, a well-known natural beauty supply store, is a great place to start. They sell all natural and some vegan products for shampoo, conditioner, skincare, toothpaste, shower supplies and bath essentials for their customers. They tend to expire faster, but in the end it's worth it knowing that each product was handmade without any toxins.

4. Chemical sunscreens vs physical sunscreens: pick the natural.

This was something I just recently learned about online, because I never knew there was a difference. Physical sunscreens contain titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, which protect your skin by completely blocking the sun's rays. Chemical sun screens, which typically contain oxybenzone, offer similar protection by absorbing the sun's rays, making the skin overheated. This can be irritable to sensitive skin types and worsen skins with dark spots and blemishes. Although physical sunscreens can be thicker, the overall product is better for you than chemical.

5. Moisturize your body and face, even if you're oily.

This is a step many people miss. In order to avoid premature wrinkles and to keep your skin balanced, it has to be moisturized. If you have oily skin, look for oil-free moisturizers that wont clog your pores. In reference to number three (above), pay attention to the ingredients label.

6. Work out five days a week, no matter how busy you are.

Working out really helps keep it all together. This helps keep you in shape and keeps your energized throughout the day, which is why most people recommend going to the gym early in the morning. Even doing early morning yoga will help make a great start to your day.

7. Meal plan your week to avoid buying unhealthy lunches on your break.

Everyone gets cravings during their lunch breaks and often caves into them. Try to pre-package your meals every week to avoid this from happening. Making lunches from home are always a much healthier option than eating out, even if the restaurant claims their foods are fresh. Plus, you'll save a few bucks instead of going out to eat.

8. Leave your bedroom as organized as you can every morning.

Something as simple as making your bed every morning can really make a difference in how your day goes. Who doesn't like to come home to a freshly made bed and clean environment? Make sure everything is organized before you go to sleep so you have nothing to worry about in the morning. You can even pull out your clothes the night before so you don't have to go through your entire closet for an hour deciding on what to wear.

9. Argan oil and coconut oil are the answer for most things.

In reference to number five (above), these oils are great moisturizers for those with dry skin. Coconut oil can be used for almost anything: hair, nails, skin, lips, etc. Argan oil is a pretty great heat protectant and hair oil, as well as a light face moisturizer. Use these natural oils for a healthier result rather than a chemical moisturizer.

10. Be social: don't miss out on quality time with positive people.

Now that your body feels healthy as a whole, don't forget to socialize. It's great to bond and laugh with friends as often as you can. It can enhance your happiness immensely.

11. Cut the negativity out of your life.

That being said in number 10, get rid of all the negativity in your life. It might be hard to do, but you'll be your happiest you in the long run. Surround yourself with people and experiences that make you happy.

12. Sleep longer.

Get the right amount of sleep. It's over said, but you'll be at your healthiest if you sleep the right amount. Don't binge watch Netflix at 2:00 a.m., it's hard, but don't. Aim for at least seven to eight hours every night.

13. Set a goal for yourself this summer that you've never done before.

Do you want to run a marathon? Train for it everyday this summer. Do you want to learn how to rock climb? This summer is the time. Do something you've never done this summer, and take all the steps necessary to accomplish your goal.

14. Look at yourself daily in the mirror, positively.

The most important step: self confidence. You deserve all the self-love you can possibly give. Learn to love everything about yourself, there is only one you.