To The Second-Semester High School Senior

From a second-semester college freshman.

90
Marissa Reilly

To the second-semester high school seniors,

This is a really exciting time for you. I was in your shoes exactly a year ago and I can't believe it's already been a year. Before you know it you're going to be walking across that field and getting your diploma. It's okay to be feeling mixed emotions. It's okay to be sad, it's okay to be happy, and it's okay to just be in shock. To tell you the truth, everything was moving so quickly that I don't think I've even processed the fact that I'm now an adult and living on my own away at college. It's also okay to be completely stressed out.

Everything is going to be okay.

Trust me, I know, waiting for that last acceptance letter is hard. I know making that big decision about where you're going to go to school is hard. I know it's hard thinking about leaving your family, friends, and pets. But no matter what decision you make, it's going to be the right one. College isn't for you? That's fine, but make sure you have a plan. You want to commute to school? That's fine, but make sure you'll be happy with that decision. The same goes to committing to live at school. But everything will work out in time.

Things are going to be completely different a year from now.

I'm amazed when I look back on the last year and realize how much change I've gone through. I lost friends who I thought would be there 'til the end. I'm living in a state 200 miles away from home. I've met people and tried new things that I would have been terrified to do a year ago. This is a year of change; embrace it.

There is a much larger world outside of your hometown.

Please, please, please, take a chance. I almost decided to not come to my school because it was over four hours away from home, but it's one of the best things I've ever done. I've met so many amazing people, from all over the country, from different ways of life, just different from everything I've known. Get to know this world.

It's okay to not cry at graduation.

I did not shed a single tear on my last day of school, graduation day, or even my graduation party. High school is a huge chapter of your life but it's okay if moving on to a new chapter does not make you sad. I was ecstatic to leave high school. I would get a little nostalgic at times but never sad. Don't feel weird about the emotions you're feeling, somewhere out there (most likely graduating with you) is feeling the same way.

Never forget that this is a special time. This is when senior year gets exciting. Take lots of pictures on your senior trip. Buy all the college gear you want. Thank your parents on graduation day. Soak in these moments because you only get them once.

Love,

A second semester college freshman