Seasonal Depression Is A Real Thing

Seasonal Depression Is A Real Thing

It's not a joke and it actually sucks.

161

We've all heard of the term "seasonal depression", but I feel like people act like it's just a joke and not a real thing that people struggle with.

I feel like people get seasonal depression confused with when it gets cold in the winter, and you feel sad because it's not warm out anymore. Seasonal depression is a lot worse than just getting "a little sad" because it's cold out.

Seasonal depression hits you in November when it's starting to get cold, and that makes you feel depressed, irritable, anxious, and lonely. You start to lose interest in things you used to enjoy, have mood swings, a lack of concentration, maybe some weight gain from eating your feelings or a lack of appetite, and you either sleep too much or too little.

Seasonal depression is a real thing and it's actually quite common. It absolutely sucks. You want to feel better but, ironically, many of the things that usually make you feel better won't work because, in order to do them, it needs to be warmer outside. So, you just have to wait it out and be sad until March.

Not only does seasonal depression kick in this time of year, but this is also the time of year that your schedule gets really crazy and finals are just around the corner, so you have assignments due in all of your classes.

This time of year, your classes want you to put all your time into them when you don't even feel motivated enough to get out of bed.

Over the years, I've learned some things that make me happy and forget my stress and depression. Some things I like to do are write, paint, read, drink coffee, sleep, hang out with friends, watch YouTube videos, listen to music, and clean my room.

The activities that make me feel better are things that I can do from the comfort of my own bed. I don't have to put much effort to do them. They're just chill activities that I enjoy doing. Sometimes, when I'm feeling somewhat motivated, I will clean my room. Having a clean room makes me feel more organized and like I have my shit together, even though I am not and I do not.

Seasonal depression isn't fun and it can take a toll on you. Just like figuring out what helps your anxiety, there's a process to making yourself feel better on your bad days. Remember not to get discouraged because it's all trial and error, but you WILL find a way to fight through this.