12 Reasons Why Your Holiday Season Sucks

Jingle yay.

314
AOL

For most, the holidays are happy, positive times resonant of that hallmark warm fuzzy feeling. For some others, a seemingly effortless holiday becomes the most tedious and frustrating when it comes to 'doing it right.' If you're anything like me and you indulge in a particular brand of Christmas available to only those actors making movie magic, you understand where I'm coming from when I say some 'standards' are hard to achieve. Point in case, every movie I've watched and even every carol I've heard is just another reminder of how far off I am from 'the perfect holiday,' in my case Christmas. So bah humbug and accuse me of having a heart 3 sizes too small, but I think at this point, celebrating my 15th American Christmas - because they don't celebrate December 25th in Russia - I've come to realize that achieving someone else's ideal Christmas is not only unnecessary but wholly exhausting. In fact, seasonal depression is actually a psychological thing due to heightened expectations. However, as we embark upon the 2016 holiday season, I encourage you to evaluate some of your traditions and see to it that you're not just fitting the mold. After all, the magic of the season, as they say, isn't in the picture-perfect way you've decked out your halls, but rather the genuine warmth of your heart. While Christmas and the like are rooted in tradition, there are some aspects that are overrated and not worth pursuing, in my opinion. Of course if you find meaning in pursuing these traditional holiday ideals, more power to your ambition. But if you're panicking, here is my attempt to console you - by showing you that nobody really does have it together - and we probably love them even more for it.

1. Food

From small snack platter indulgences to frosted treats, there's no way you can escape the onset of the Frosty physique - which is utterly adorable.

2. Love

As feasible as it may seem, your love interest probably won't suddenly find you just in time for cuffing season. But here's hoping you realize you're already surrounded by most of the loves of your life.

3. Gifts

It might not be your idea of the ideal gift, but it's not easy to get it right. It's the thought that counts - but there's probably a gift receipt.

4. Decorations

Not everyone can have it together like Buddy Hall.

5. Time

December is a heck of a month - with finals and family, staple Christmas activities may not fit into the calendar - but Christmas joy isn't something that can be scheduled.

6. PJ's

Uncoordinated shorts and a tank are as good as it gets for some because you can't wear a wool onesie and fuzzy socks for a long winter's nap in Florida.

7. Shopping

After putting off all shopping - including gifts and groceries - and leaving the house to drive in circles around a packed parking lot, you forget the butter for the cookies.

8. Family Gatherings

While for most family gatherings are huge and chaotic, others wouldn't actually mind to get a first hand experience of the infamous extended family Christmas dinner.

9. Christmas Miracles

After watching 'Miracle on 34th Street' for the 34th time and genuinely feeling like a waste of space for not lending some of your time to volunteering, you feel obligated to step into the daylight.

10. Getting Ready

As if after a long day of baking and cleaning, this was actually the case when it came to getting ready for that one holiday party you were invited to.

11. Plans

You swore you'd make plans this winter break.

12. Snow

'Ha.' - Everyone in the South

Perhaps even the movies embrace the fact that some things aren't meant to be perfect because each have their own little 'Gremlins.'

But aren't they cute.