What Seattle's Win Over The Cowboys Says About The Seahawks

What Seattle's Week 3 Win Over The Cowboys Says About The Seahawks

One win on paper, but so much more in reality.

69

The Seahawks dominated the Dallas Cowboys last week. While they only won 24-13, they won in every aspect of the game from the line of scrimmage, to field positioning, quarterback play, defense and especially, attitude.

Why is one win so important? Because the Seahawks were the team everybody chose to have the greatest fall from grace in the NFL this year. After the mass exodus of everybody on the Seattle defense that led them to two Superbowls in a row with the exception of Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright, and Earl Thomas, most people wanted to write them off as a wasted dynasty. It was growing into the perfect storyline. The dynasty that never was. From the Pete Carroll play-calling blunder in the 2014 Superbowl to the growing locker room dysfunction, the Seattle Seahawks were supposed to watch as the growing dissension hit rock bottom this year. But Pete Carroll refused to call it a 'rebuild year', and people thought he was mad. He is, after all, the oldest coach in the league. But despite all the recent departures, there is still something there. Anyone who watched the Seahawks beat the Cowboys saw more than an eleven point victory at home, they saw an attitude of confidence, dominance, and swagger that hasn't been seen since the last time they reached the Superbowl.

Russel Wilson

This game was huge for Russel Wilson, who has been criticized by many, including myself, for simply seeming out of it. Prior to this game, I would cringe every time Wilson dropped back in the pocket because I've been conditioned into expecting a sack every time after watching him get sacked 12 times in the first two games. He's held on to the ball too long, looks hesitant to run like he used to, and when he does throw with confidence, it usually results in an overthrow or interception. But not this time.

His 52-yard touchdown strike to Tyler Locket and bullet down the seam to Jaron Brown showed a man with confidence. There was no hesitation to Wilson against the Cowboys which is something the Seahawks will need going forward.

The Secondary

The Seahawks are tied for the league lead in interceptions through three games with 7. They haven't been in that position since their 2013 run to the Superbowl with a fully stocked legion of boom. Pete Carroll may be on to something when calling this season a retool instead of a rebuild. Bradley McDougal and Shaquill Griffin, each with two interceptions are filling in exceptionally for Kam Chancellor and Richard Sherman while Earl Thomas might be having his best season yet, despite Thomas's uncertain future as a Seahawk. No, this secondary is not the one the Seahawks are accustomed to but, if the Dallas game was any indication, they are much better than anticipated.

The Running Game and Offensive Line

A Seahawks running back scored a rushing touchdown and broke 100 yards on the ground while Russel Wilson faced minimal pressure in the pocket. Say no more, things are looking up for the Seahawks' offensive line, their biggest weakness in recent years.

Pete Carroll

This season is about Pete Carroll above all else. Carroll faced criticism for his play calling in the 2014 Superbowl, the reboot of the coaching staff, and his philosophy which former Seahawks complained was beginning to grow stale.

However, last week's win over the Cowboys did not show a team with more talented players coming out on top. It showed a team with confidence and intensity. With only three players remaining from the recent Superbowl teams, it surprisingly showed a team that looked and felt like the team that played with such dominance only a few years ago. The only explanation is Carroll's presence. While last week's win over the Cowboys will only go down as one win, it was a literal flashback to their era of dominance. Or maybe it was a flash forward toward things to come. Either way, there was no doubt, from start to finish, about who was going to come out on top simply based on the attitude of the two teams, an attitude that has been missing in recent years. The Seahawk's philosophy of winning was alive and well against the Cowboys and indicates that this team is not settling for a rebuild in 2018, but has aspirations for success that nobody else is willing to place on them.