Seahawks 2019 Draft Needs

The Seattle Seahawks face significant questions ahead of the 2019 NFL Draft, which will take place from April 25-27. After a 10-6 season in which they exceeded expectations and made the postseason, the Seahawks suffered a 24-22 Wild Card Round loss at the hands of the Dallas Cowboys. Besides placing the franchise tag on star defensive end Frank Clark, the team hesitated from making many notable moves in free agency. The team is currently focused on working out a contract extension for franchise quarterback Russell Wilson before his self-imposed April 15 deadline, as has been reported. However, Seattle must remember that it has key needs at several positions.

Seattle currently possesses these draft picks:

-Round 1, 21st overall

-Round 3, 84th overall

-Round 4, 124th overall

-Round 5, 159th overall

General manager John Schneider is widely expected to trade down and out of the first round, as is seemingly tradition. There is a wealth of talent in this year's draft class at several positions and some may be of benefit to Seattle, but their chances of acquiring high-end talent will likely increase if they find a way to acquire more picks. The Seahawks' key positions of need include:

Cornerback

Shaquill Griffin and Tre Flowers have both shown promise, but have displayed various weaknesses and have been liabilities at times. Richard Sherman's departure left a gaping hole in the position that has yet to be plugged. Seattle could use a solid cover man to shore up their secondary.

Safety

Earl Thomas signed with the Baltimore Ravens and Kam Chancellor will never play another down, leaving only Bradley McDougald. Nobody else on the roster is proven and the team could use a ball-hawking safety or stabilizing presence in the middle of the field.

Tight End

Rookie standout Will Dissly is coming off a season-ending patellar tendon injury, Ed Dickson is not a consistent receiving threat and Nick Vannett does not seem like a viable long-term asset. This draft class is loaded with top-notch tight end talent and the Seahawks could potentially snag one of them, although not easily.

With only four picks, the Seahawks will have their work cut out for them to acquire the players they desire.