10 Must-See Scary Movies

10 Scary Movies To Watch This Halloween That Don't Just Resort to Cheap Jump Scares

There's a difference between being scared and just being startled.

49
https://unsplash.com/photos/ASNSoeead70

When it comes to scary movies, they're usually either a hit or miss.

There's nothing better than a good scary movie, but there's nothing worse than sitting through one of the many sad attempts at horror. Jump scares can be used effectively, but they can also be used as cheap scare tactics when movies lack solid plot foundation and character development.

If a movie relies solely on jump scares to initiate fear in the viewer, it's a cop-out. There's a fine line between scary and stupid. Here are 10 movies for your horror movie night that won't leave you disappointed.

1. 1408 (2007)

1408 tells the story of a horror novelist who rejects the idea of ghosts and only believes in things he can physically see. He is so confident in his beliefs that he engages in a project called "Ten Nights in Haunted Hotel Rooms" in which he seeks to disprove the existence of supernatural forces.

Despite the warning of the hotel manager, he decides to check into the infamous suite 1408 of the notorious Dolphin Hotel. He soon learns that he should've taken the manager's words of caution more seriously.

2. Train to Busan (2016)

An overworked man and his neglected daughter find themselves trapped on a train during a zombie outbreak in South Korea.

The movie follows their struggle for survival against horrifying zombies. The topic of zombie apocalypses has been done many times before, however, "Train to Busan" portrays the narrative unlike any other zombie film. The appearance and mannerisms of the zombies themselves are uniquely spine-chilling.

Even though the film is in Korean, the story line is strong enough to keep viewers on the edge of their seats. The complex character development adds an emotional element that makes the story even more dramatic.

3. It (2017)

When children begin to disappear in a small town in Maine, children face a sadistic clown named Pennywise who has a malevolent demeanor and violent history.

Stephen King's classic novel lives up to its reputation in this frightening film with a flawless execution.

4. The Conjuring (2013)

The thing that sets The Conjuring apart from other horror films is the fact that it is based on a true story. Just as paranormal researchers Ed and Lorraine are considering retirement, they experience a case that proves to be too much for them to handle.

5. It Follows (2015)

After a sexual encounter, a teenager begins being followed by a creature. The movie has a dark, eerie tone that creates a creepy atmosphere. The concept of the story is interesting and unique. The monster of the film is unconventional and could symbolize a number of different things.

6. The Ring (2002)

This may be a little biased considering that I was five years old the first time I saw this movie. My parents hired a babysitter to watch me, but she was on the phone with her boyfriend the whole time and I somehow managed to put this movie into the VCR.

I was traumatized and had nightmares from the experience, The Ring revolves around a videotape filled with frightening images and a phone call foretelling the viewer's death in exactly seven days. A newspaper reporter decides to check it out for herself once four teenagers die in a single week after viewing the tape. Rachel tracks down the video and watches it, leaving her with seven days to unravel the mystery.

7. Hereditary (2018)

When the grandmother of the family passes away, the Graham family begin to learn terrifying secrets about their ancestry. Hereditary is unpredictable and full of surprises. It is one of the most depressing, tragic supernatural thrillers of our time.

If you're interested in a humorous or lighthearted horror film, Hereditary is not for you. If you're able to appreciate the depressing storyline, you're in store for a creepy thriller that will leave you shocked.

8. Gerald's Game (2017)

Another suspense novel by Stephen King made it to the big screen. Gerald's Game is about a woman whose husband dies as she is handcuffed to the bed as they try to spice up their marriage. Jessie is left defenseless and begins letting the voices in her head get to her. A creepy psychological thriller ensues.

9. The Shining (1980)

Stephen King's contribution to horror literature has been impeccable. No list of horror films would be complete without his films, particularly The Shining. It tells the story of a man's descent into madness in a deeply unsettling manner. It is an extremely long movie, but if you take the time to sit down and watch it, you won't be disappointed. It's known as one of the best horror movies at all time for a reason.

10. Alien (1979)

On the way home from a mission, Nostromo's crew is woken up from hibernation by the ship's Mother computer to answer a signal from another planet. A creature bursts out of a pod and ends up being a killing machine. Alien is suspenseful, eventful, and keeps the viewer watching for more.

From Your Site Articles