The Pain You Feel Saying Goodbye To A Church Family...

It’s hard to say good bye to the people you grew up with.

1896
redeemerrc

When you practically grow up in a church, the day that eventually comes along when you say goodbye...hurts. No other word can describe it but hurt.

My dad is a preacher, so this situation is unique for me. We knew when that last day would come, and so did the congregation. Being prepared for it didn’t help, though.

The church was very small so it was easy to get close to everyone. It was easy to love every one of them.

It wasn’t easy to say goodbye.

I think I spent the entire service crying-and I think it was my dad’s longest sermon…he didn’t want to let go either.

But it was time.

We didn’t leave out of spite, problems or because he found a new church. We left because in my dad’s heart God was telling him it was time to move on.

When a church has no more “go” in it- it’s hard to continue God’s work.

I love and miss my church family. They all meant the world to me. I hate letting go of things, but I’ve learned to not focus so much on the sadness, but rather on the goodness this can bring.

Since my dad is still looking for a new church to preach at- we have started going to a new church, just as members.

I was planning on not being enthused by it…but I can’t.

I love it.

I love everything about it.

I know that our time at this church could be short-lived, and that’s okay. God is working it out the way he wants to for my family.

Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.”

Thank you, to my church family, for letting me grow up with you and for loving my family.

We love you.